Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

cat: My 5 year..shortened breathing..paralysis..pupils were huge

Customer Question

My 5 year old otherwise healthy house cat got lost for a few days back in January and came back with shortened breathing and lost so much weight that he was skeletal. He was tested for everything, which came up negative, and then Tuesday afternoon he started w/sudden paralysis of the lower extremities, then upper then death, in two days...the night before his whole system shut down, his eyes were fixed, glazed and the pupils were huge. What killed this 5 year old Siamese male cat?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

I am so sorry you are having to go thru this...

Without examining the cat and viewing bloodwork...I don't have an educated guess as to the cause of death.

Siamese cats do have issues cardiomyopathy which can come up acutely and cause death...

If the severity of weight loss and muscle atrophy...I find it hard to believe that the bloodwork was normal...but it is all hindsight.

Central nervous system infections can do this as well.

So sorry I can't help more with the information.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: I have his litter mate brother, and a Tonkinese in the house, if it were parasitic, is it something that is contagious and what should I do? I'm going with the spinal infection, since I palpated his lumbar region, well his whole spine since he was so boney, and rotated his legs which looked like they were disjointed. He had that look in his eyes that I can only explain by seeing a patient who has suffered severe brain damage, glazed, fixed, hollow. I am deeply disturbed by this, but he was never a particularly healthy cat; he always had digestive issues, and always made a gnashing/gnawing sound in the back of this throat, as though he were trying to dislodge something out of his throat. On a lighter note, you have an interesting name, Greek? for being in Kansas. Would cardio myopathy account for his weight loss? He looked like he suffered a stroke. My daughter is so distraught, I swear I'll never allow more pets in the house. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX help.

First, the eye description doesn't reflect anything. This is common in most animals as they are passing...It usually come from the decrease in oxygen getting to the brain and ocular tissues and you really cant put much into that unless it was a clinical sign several days before dying.

IF there was a disease the affected the nervous system like toxoplasmosis or  such, you can get the sibling tested.

Cardiomyopathy alone does not cause what you see, but failure to correctly work affects all the organs which can cause the muscle wasting...which is why I question the bloodwork.

Immune mediated diseases can occur in pure bred cats as well.

Vamvakias is Greek ...Kansas for 6 more weeks !

Again...the pieces are there,but I am so limited online.

I am sorry your family has experienced this!