Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Dehydration cause of arrhythmia

Dr. Vamvakias, a two weeks ago I posted that my cat, Birdie, suddenly
passed away, and I asked what could have cause this. You agreed that
the heartworm theory is probable, and you also thought that perhaps my
kitty developed a heart arrhythmia due to the dental cleaning,
anesthesia experience one week before her death.

After you wrote that, I read up a bit on heart arrhythmias. I found
this one web site that listed probable causes of arrhythmias and one
cause was dehydration. 12 days before I took Birdie into the vet for
the dental cleaning she was dehydrated (I think). You see, I was out of
town for 4 days, and I had my neighbor come to my house and take care
of my kitties. When I returned home from the trip in the evening the
water dish was empty. I filled it up and the 4 kitties just drank and
drank, especially Birdie. I was upset when I saw this and immediately
called my neighbor. She ultimately said that she didn't make it by my
house earlier that day to check on the kitties and that at least once
(she didn't say how many times) the water dish was empty when she would
come over. I didn't want to blame her, but I was thinking in the back
of my head that if she saw the water bowl empty that she would either
come over more often to fill it or find another bowl in my kitchen to
place water in...

Anyway, I know what is done is done. But my question for you is...
Could having been dehydrated 12-13 days before the dental procedure
cause a heart arrhythmia? Keep in mind that the blood work right before
the dental procedure was supposedly normal. Would dehydration or
effects of dehydration show up on a typical blood work up? And, of
course, the days after I arrived home from the trip and up 'til the
dental I made sure they had plenty of water...

Thank you.

Dehydration can trip an arrythmia. Is is the problem with the bloodwork...you would have to compare a normal sample with a presurgical sample to know what is normal for YOUR cat. The normal HCt might be 33 for your cat...but on the day of the dental it was 53...the cat is probably dehydrated BUT the 53 is still in the normal range. Make sense??

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post:   Gulp!  This is kind of what I was thinking, but it hurts to see your answer.     I was hesatant to ask, but my wanting to find out drove me to post this question...

So, if I  got her blood work from last two years and compared, then I might see a difference?

So, you are saying that even though she had 12-13 days to rehydrate,
that that wouldn't have made a difference?  Couldn't she have
rehydrated within that amount of time and been fine?

Well, if the cause for the dehydration was corrected then it could have self corrected. You should be able to take bloodwork over the last year to determine changes.

Sorry that I don't have happier news.

Dr.V