Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

question of misdiagnosis

Customer Question

7 y/o Rotwieler being treated for a + lyme test. Stomach does not tolerat antibiotic/Vet still took PO antibiotic course of treatment. Opportunity to have injections available. Dog doing poorly x over 1 week with drastic downhill spiral in last two days. this day, friend who is owner brought dog in and the exray supposedly show large tumer pushing intestines into chest cavity and lungs "show fluid". Diagnosis given as "tumor" no options except leave him for dieratic treatment and euthanize due to ???? inoperable? could it be a blockage not a tumor? I'm sticking my nose in finally because this is my tenants beloved dog and each time this Vet puts him on antibiotic by mouth it tears up his gigestive trac...I have to inject two of our dogs and have repeatedly asked that this be allowed even though it is not common practice, I am experienced and trusted by our Vets and have even had to run IV lines at home which relieved suffering and extended dogs life by years, when someone else might have given up. I know my tenant is devastated but he is convinced that the Vet is always right. My Dad has a 13 y/o collie who would have been put down 4 years ago from a "partial torsion of the stomack due to vomitting repeatedly from oral antibiotic. I was able to pull him through by sitting with him and running IV fluid for days and then slowly reintroducing bland food. When he was x-rayed our Vet saw "gas" at bpth ends of the intestinal tract and we gave it out best shot. He is still with Dad. Could a blockage be misread as a cnacerous tumor? and what if it is not a cancerous tumor?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

An enlarged spleen can do this without it being cancer...Or a tumor in the spleen but can be surgically removed.

If they can afford it, the need an ultrasound performed before they make the decision to euthanize.

Dr.V