Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

shaky eyes and nervousnous

Customer Question

new dog.....may not have been taken care of....only 3 months old
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 What is your question? What breed? What are you seeing??

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: What would cause shaky eyes and severe nervousness? He is a Siberian Huskie, 3 and a half months old. I just got him 2 days ago. I don't know, he may have been abused or locked up. But he is full bread and was practically given to me for 50 dollars from the breeder supposedly because of his age. But he is just very nervous, wants to hide everywhere i take him. When he gets in a corner he just lays down and sometimes hides his face. His body is in good shape and he will run behind me on a leash. I don't know what kind of care he has been under but my vet said to just watch him and continue to monitor his behavior. He seems to be getting better with adjustment. Maybe he was locked up and all this is new to him?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I just got a Siberian Husky puppy from a stranger for 50 dollars. He is 3 and a half months old. His eyes are shaky at times and he is very nervous. When going into a room he immediately looks for the closest corner to hide in. He also hides his face at times. I have had him for 3 days now and he is getting better with time. I just would like to know what would cause shakiness and nervous tendencies like this. Is it possible he was beat as a puppy or locked up somewhere?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Since you don't know his previous living arrangments, it's hard to say. 

Unfortunately, dogs that have not been socialized well can have a tough time adjusting to being in a family, living indoors and the noises of a household.

The dog may not have been abused at all but is shy because he has not been touched much by human hands. 

If he is eating and going to the bathroom ok, you will probably need to give it some time.  I suggest that you give him a quiet place to lay where he has access to her food and water and that you quietly step in every now and then and offer treats.  Approach him slowly and quietly and, if he seems fearful, leave.  Once he begins to realize that you bring treats, you can try sitting alone in the room with him and offering the treats to him but make him come to you.

Another tip is that you should never approach the dog from the front.  If you reach for the dog, reach from the side so that you can avoid some of the "head shyness."

This is going to take some time but these dogs that are poorly socialized can make loving and affectionate pets if you train them gently and easily.  He will soon be used to being in doors. 

Please let me know if you have more questions.