Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

dog: is about 7 months old..chewing, but he had nothing in his mouth

Customer Question

my dog is about 7 months old. yesterday he started shying away from us, and then last night he started having problems. it looked like he was chewing, but he had nothing in his mouth. he was running laps around the yard, then just stopped and started barking nonstop. finally he just fell over and it looked like he was having some type of a seizure. today he seemed to be more calm, but we can't get him to eat or drink. if you touch him, its almost like you are hurting him. his eyes are so matted over he can't see, but he still seems to be alert. he will sit up and look around, but most of the time he just sleeps. he won't even get up to go to the bathroom. he hasn't been throwing up and he doesn't have diarrhea. the seizure hasn't happened other than the one time last night. a couple of days ago he ate a wood bee, i was wondering if maybe he could be having an allergic reaction or if it could be something else.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

This does not sound like distemper.  If he ate a bee, he could have been stung in the mouth, hence the chewing.

Because of the seizure activity and the eye problems that you are seeing, you need to see the vet as soon as you can.

For the eyes, you can clean them with saline or water and dry them with a clean, dry cloth.  If the gunk comes right back, you are probably dealing with an infection that will require antibiotics.

There is a condition called fly-biting in which the dog constantly bites at flies that are not there.  I am wondering if this is what you are seeing with the chewing.    This usually indicates a vision problem.

Because of the pain, lethargy and eye problems, a vet visit is needed.

Let me know if you still have questions.