NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

I saw a bowel that wasreal slimey and bloody, what could it be.

Customer Question

I have a year and a half year old mutt. She has had two bowels this week that were very slimely and wet. They were very bloody. She has been fixed for over a year. She is currently taking heartguard and has been on it for four months. She was tested before the medication was given.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This could easily be caused by an intestinal worm infection. Worms such, as whipworms, hookworms and roundworms irritate the gut and can cause intermittent bloody and slimy stools.
You can bring your vet in a stool sample and ask them to check it for parasites. They can see if that is the problem and prescribe medication to resolve it. They may want you to bring the dog in to be examined and weighed before prescribing meds or they may just let you have the wormer/med needed depending on how recently they saw the dog etc.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: She was tested for worms back in January and she is currently on Heart Guard which treats those sorts of things. Do you still think it is that?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes I do think it could be that. The reason is the heartguard is monthly and some worms have a two week life cycle and some a 6 week cycle which means they can mature without being impacted by the drug. It helps control them but not completely. Even the Heartguard Plus won't control a whipworm infection. I think you'll see that if you read the box (I use Interceptor so I don't have a box around to check)
If she is not acting otherwise sick I'd say worms or perhaps a protozoan infection (though with those usually the dogs get sick and stay sick with diarrhea and blood etc).
Whipworms are particularly hard to diagnose and get rid of even when using a monthly med. Classic sign for them is intermittent mucus and blood in the stool. The eggs don't alway show in a stool sample as they lay them less frequently than other worms do. So they might have been there and the vet wasn't able to see the infection in the sample he had.
Next most likely thing might be having eaten something that is passing through the system roughly like a rock or a plastic toy etc.
If your dog isn't showing any real signs of illness to go along with this and isn't showing the symptom constantly worms would be my thought as a the likeliest cause.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Just to let you know, it was not worms. The vet went ahead and sampled the sample with the slime. Because my dog has been protected and dewormed in the past the Vet agreed with me that it is not worms. The vet beleives it is a food allergy, proably to beef. Just letting you know for future reference.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Thanks! hope that the swap of food works out for you. Worms were the most likely problem but that never rules out there being a less common cause!