Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

beagle mix: adopted..only pooped in the house once when we 1st got her

Customer Question

we adopted a beagle mix in Dec 05. A very good dog. only pooped in the house once when we 1st got her. We had her spayed at the end of Feb. Since her spaying she poops in the house all the time. We had her to the vet and they had to drain some glands by her butt twice. Now she has some slight bleeding when she poops. I have to think something went wrong with her spaying. Is this possible? Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Mi Linda Luz replied 11 years ago.
Dear Mr Haney, Unfortunatly anything can go wrong when it comes to surgery. But it sounds more like your baby is having problems making it to the door in time. Surgery is traumatic in many different ways to many different animals. Just like people, when something drastic is done to them and they don't know why they respond with confusion. If her anal glands had to be drained then it's more likley that her nerves in her anus are a bit dulled. In other words like a small child who is just potty training she doesn't know she has to go until the package is already being delivered. I would take her out every two to three hours for a few days maybe even a week, it depends on how quickly her nerves get back in order. Praise her like crazy when she does urinate or deficate outside. This will make her want to get it right quicker. Your incouragement will work miracles for her. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX Luz
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Mi Linda Luz's Post: Her anal glands were drained 3 times every 10 days to 2 weeks and now that has subsided and her stool went from normal to runny with a little muccousy blood and she had actual blood as if she had a cut too. The stool was checked for parasites and that was negative and was put on an antibiotic. Now she hasn't gone in 24 hours. We take her out in the same routine as before the spay. The spay was almost 2 months ago and this has been a problem ever since. She never has had an accident as far as peeing. Is there any other solution.
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

When she has an accident, is it runny?  Was there a food change?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Initially after the spay it was small amount of stool almost like she couldn't hold it any longer. It was recommended by a dog trainer to have her checked to make sure she didn't have an adhesion or something that was causing her pain. The vet said that her anal glands needed to be drained. After that she was back on track and about a week later ran into the same problem. Anal glands drained about again and went about 10 days before stool accidents. 3rd time drained she also got an antibiotic in the glands to slow down. That seemed to do the trick, no more dragging butt or excessive licking but the consistancy of her poop seemed to get slightly looser. This past week she has wanted to eat grass and when she does she coughs up a mucus flem within a minute or so. Her stool was still alittle loose and I noticed little bits of blood in the stool and also drops of red blood after she went. Called on Friday and said to keep an eye on her and bring in a stool sample. Ran a test and found no parasites. Put her on Metronidazole 250 mg 2x day for a week and changed her dog food from Nutro Natural Choice ( Chicken meal, rice & oatmeal) to Iams low residue. Started the rx and food change Saturday night and Sunday late morning it was diahrea with little blood drops. We figured it was a combination of the RX and food change but now it's almost 30 hours later and she has pooped.
This entire time she has acted her usual playful self. We had her for 3 months before her spay and she was housebroken and now she's partially not housebroken. She has not peed in the house. She never indicates the need to go out but we take her out on the same routine all the time. Is it possible that the spay is causing the bowel problems?
 This most recent poop, after the medication and food...it is still loose or it is normal poop just in the house?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: She has only pooped once since getting on the meds. on Sat. That was 30 hrs ago. That poop was diarea and some drops of blood. Normally she poops twice a day. within an hour of eating. Other than this she seems and acts normal. We are feeding her now so we will see later on tonight. Hea apetite is fine also.
Thanks,

okay, well let me give you my opinion.

1. No, I don't think the spay did anything...it can cause an underlying problem to manifest...but I doubt it caused something.

2. The anal glands are expressed when a dog defecates...if the stool is loose, the glands don't get expressed...and then they get full and irritated.  So, I don't think the glands caused the diarrhea or poop problem...just the outcome.

3. The blood can come from straining...which is common with diarrhea, it also can come with general colitis.

4. Metronidazole helps slow the colon down, decrease inflammation and treat protozoan based colitis. So the lack of poop is a good thing for now.

5. I recommend remaining on the low residue food for a while, even if the diarrhea is absence.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr.V

Dear Mr. Haney, After reviewing your comments I've come to a horrible revelation. You mentioned that she has been eating grass alot lately. By any chance did you get to see if she's eating crab grass(very pretty green, sweet smelling; when they get about five or six inches long they grow a feathery looking head on it)? Does this sound familiar to you? If she has all her problems are because of this. We are trying to survive the same thing with our Samoyed/Australian Shepard. We never thought anything about him eating grass, because we were taught "dogs and cats eat grass because their stomachs are upset". This may be true but not when it comes to crab grass. We(including our vet) can not figure out why he kept eating this grass even after he began to get sick. About a month or so ago, I spotted him eating what I thought was just grass. Then he started throwing up mucus with some of the grass stems in some of it. I figured that the grass had helped him throw-up. Oh, God if I could go back and pay more attention to his odd behavior. Anyway, the grass eating continued until about two weeks after the throwing up started. Suddenly, out of the blue he started this horrible cough. I thought it would pass at first but it only got worse. I took him in to the vet, we thought maybe his allergies or he sniffed something up into his nose and it was caught in his throat. Dr. came back to me and said he was very clean, no foreign bodies in his nasal passages. Then he let me know that their was a specialist there to treat another patient and if I wanted he would be willing to check my babies throat, I said yes. A few minutes later I was shown something I will never forget, he had the heads of that grass lodged in his throat. Then it was explained to me that he most likely had some in his stomach and that somehow he needed to pass it. I told him that I use Karo syrup to make him poop he said to start using it until his poop lookes normal. On poop patrol the next morning, I found a mucus covered, brown, six inch rope made of grass. This went on for a solid week. I've never seen so much grass in poop. The shocking thing was we had to go out with him to this day(seven days later) because he is addicted to the crab grass and still wants more. The vet also said that he has removed these pretty little pet killer from hearts and muscle in legs. He said once they are taken into the body they have such sharp points to them that they travel anywhere in the body. Please have your baby checked for this an xray, I would think, would show the grass in the stomach and intestines. I pray I'm wrong; but, I'm worried that I'm not. The symptoms are too similar. I hope this helps. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX Luz
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I thought I paid the $5 dollars. I'm sorry. Now I don't know how to go about paying it. I don't see any place to click to pay it. Give me some help.
Thanks, Dennis

Dennis,

If you wish to ACCEPT my responses you hit that button in the top right of this statement block.

Thanks and I hope things improve greatly.

Dr.Vamvakias