Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Pain Relief/Von Willibrand

Customer Question

My 8 y/o Newfoundland has Von Willibrandt's (sp?) disorder. We'd like to give him medication to relieve his occasional achiness/lameness but want to find one that is safe with his condition.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Ask your vet if glucosamine is safe for him to use.
Many people find that Glycoflex (see www.kvvet.com for one source) or another glucosamine supplement really helps their older dogs with arthritis pain.
Also ask your vet about MSM as a possible help.
Usually you can just call your vet office and tell them you are considering putting your dog on such a product and ask the vet if given your dog's condition the product would be safe. They may tell you they would prefer you to use Cosequin.
As far as I know the only issue anyone has discussed with glucosamine use is potential problems in diabetic animals or humans.
To jump start the glucosamine use I've had my vet administer Adequan shots in a series but this might not be practical given your dog's bleeding disorder so oral only might be the way to go.
Hope this helps!
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

Did your dog have an actual bleeding crisis and then diagnosed? What was the resulting number on the Von Willebrands test?

Glucosamine Chondroitin is fine; Adequan is not recommended due to the thought that it is a heparin analog and can contribute to bleeding issues.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: The crisis occurred when he was neutered--the surgery resulted in castration. I'm sorry, but I do not recall or have available the actual number on the test.

We already give him glucosomine/chondroitin and have for several years.The vet just prescribed him Danormax (again, sp?) but under advisement because he said it was contraindicated for Von Willebrands, and did not think there was any pain relief meds that would not put him in some sort of jeopardy,as they all affect his blood. Tylenol just doesn't seem to help enough on his bad days. We like the results from the Danormax, but still wonder if there is a product that is more safe.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Ask your vet about Metacam its similar in action to Deramaxx (if that is the med you mean) and might be slightly different in risk factor you'd have to ask to see. It is a similar cox-2 inhibitor so it might be in the same risk category.
The Glycoflex also comes in formulas with MSM and other pain relievers that you could discuss with your vet as possible aids.
If you don't have the option of a heated pet bed set up for him that might help too. My achy old dogs often choose to warm themselves to relieve pain in the heated pet beds I have around for them. They can choose regular or heated beds and the old timers can seem a bit more agile after a nap when they choose to use a heated bed.
One of my oldest dogs (much smaller than your dog is though) really liked a warm bath soak to relieve his aches. Running water in the sink would make this old guy come over and beg for a turn soaking! Of course we then had to carefully dry him too so he wouldn't get chilled. If your pet has one particularly stiff joint area a warm compress might relieve some pain there too.
I've seen water beds for dogs and orthopedic foam beds that also might provide some comfort.

Please let me know if you need further help.

DR.V