Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

dog: is salivating..yr old..0- wierd today for dinner..never done

Customer Question

my dog is salivating terribly for no unknown reason-should I be concerned it is an emergency?
He is a 4 yr old english mastiff, has had -0- wierd today for dinner, etc.....Iam concerned as he has never done this before, it is sunday evening and if it could be a serious thing, like a stoke,etc...I would like to know if I should take him to the emergency room, or what else I can look for?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 What else is the dog doing? Did the dog get into anything? Was anything placed on the dog?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: he is acting normal other than salivating...it is literally dripping fro him...he is also shaking his head quite a bit...I do not know that he got into anything-I do not believe so. I also have a new puppy in the house with him..he is 14 weeks old, and he is fine.???

If he is bright and alert with no evidence of tremors, or disorientation...I don't think I would consider it an emergency.

Place him in the tub and rinse his mouth out well, just incase he licked a detergent or something else that is bothering the oral cavity...also look for any foreign objects stuck between the teeth.

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank You I will try that-it is not like his normal slober...it is more like water constantly dripping from his big lips-his nose is also real wet-as long as you can't think of anything that this would be a symptom of that is an emergency-I'll see how he is in the morning thanks again
 They will drool alot when there is an irritant in the mouth, or if they have taken an excitatory drug/product like flea medicine. They can salivate alot if nervous or with nausea.  If you are not seeing other obvious changes in behavior...I would re-evaluate after rinsing the mouth.
Dr.V
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Well, getting a 215 lb mastiff's mouth rinsed out is a bit of a challenge-I was able to just a bit..no change...and I do not see anything in his mouth or teeth-he just keeps licking his lips, and water continues to pour out of his lips on the side...maybe he is nauseous-or has a toothache? BotXXXXX XXXXXne for now-should he still be doing it in the am...should I call me vet?
Thanks Very Much

Yep..I would. It won't hurt him to give about 3 tsps of Maalox if you have it. This can help with the nausea...the other thing is 2 benadryl tablets (25 mg each) they have anti-nausea properties.

Neither one will cause harm.

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: SO Sorry-this is my first time on this site...Iam learning how to do this...as a matter of fact..trying to sign off I think I paid for it twice? Oh, well...Iam not so good on the computer...Thank You for the help..I will try the malox. Have a nice evening.