NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

I have a 6 mo. Blk. Lab Retriever Pedigree.

I have a 6 mo. Blk. Lab Retriever Pedigree. I noticed on her back side she has a growth that looks like a nipple. It is about 1/4 in. long looks skin color. Should I be alarmed with it?
Dogs can get warts and skin tags and even infected hair follicles that might look like this.
It sounds like something that comes under the heading of a situation to keep an eye on and if it grows or changes see your vet or the next time you are at the vet point it out and ask about it.
Worries would be if suddenly you had more than one spot like this, if it grew or changed color, or if the dog started worrying at it.
As he's a pup still its quite likely this is a viral wart infection that will clear up on its own.
If you have never seen a tick embedded on a dog though an engorged tick looks rather grey like many dog skins are colored and may appear to grow right out of the skin as the head is embedded in to reach the blood. Look closely and see if the growth has any legs down towards the skin and if it does suspect this is a tick.
You will need to use some sort of tick prevention (ask your vet) and to remove the tick from the skin if this is the case.
Hope this helps!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thanks to Nancy Holmes the skin problem actually was a tick embedded in the skin of my Pal's backside and was removed by my Vet immediately. Since then my pup has been put on a specific med for killing ticks as well as many other bugs that are a nuisance to my Pal. Thanks to Just Answer that saved my Pal from being very sick!
You are welcome and glad I could help!