Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

kitty: year old male..is other wise healthy and after he has went

Customer Question

We have a 9 year old male kitty that appears to have acid reflux from time to time that makes him drool a lot for extended periods of time but not all the time however. Was wondering what we can do to help him out to maybe stop or at least control this drooling when it happens. Our kitty is other wise healthy and after he has went through a period of drooling is just fine.                  Thanks& nbsp;  Paul w. grossnickle                  & nbsp;                
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I suggest that you purchase Tagamet (100 mg) tablets. You can give 1/4 of the tablet. He can take this every 6 to 8 hours when the problem flares up. This will help with the acid and nausea. 

You can also use hairball medicine that you can find at the pet store.  This helps to coat the esophagus and helps with the reflux. 

You also need to think about changing the diet to a bland food when this is going on.  You can use baby food (chicken/rice, etc)  Just be sure that it does not have onion or garlic.

If it continues, you should see the vet.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: As a follow on qestion what options does our vet have in reference to treatment if what you have suggested does not help our pet. What you have suggested is in line with what our vet has suggested but interested in what else treatment wise can be offered. Would a diet change from something other then fancy feast be in order at this time or lengthen the time between feeding help at all i.e. feed more often but smaller amounts at each feeding ?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Lengthening the time between feedings will not help.  This will cause even more stomach acid  to build up and will worsen the problem.  I suggest that you offer several small, bland meals each day.  Try not to let the stomach empty at any time.  Jarred baby food works great and you can be creative with it. There are some great lamb and rice, chicken and rice and beef with rice foods out there.  Just be sure that there are no onions or garlic in the recipe.

I think that you will see significant relief after you follow this path for a few days.

If you don't, you will need to return to the vet.

I am happy to see such a concerned pet owner!  And one that is so well educated about this condition is fantastic!

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You still have not accepted a response to this question.  Please let me know if you need more information.  If I have answered you satisfactorily, please feel free to accept my answer.

Thanks!