NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

chicken: was attacked..hes..beck and his tounge he can only lick..chew

Customer Question

my chicken has no top beck and cant eat im afraid he might die i need help.my chicken was attacked by a cat she ripped of the top of the beck of my chicken.now hes left with only his botXXXXX XXXXXp of the beck and his tounge he can only lick but now he cant eat chicken food/seeds/i try to give him something that he can swallow beacuse he cant chew but i dont know what he could eat or how he could eat it. is there a sertent kindof food
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html has several recipes for feeding chickens including a cooked mash food.
You might find that grinding and cooking up the regular food with liquid enough to let the chicXXXXX XXXXXck it up will work. You will have to figure out a way to include some grit in the mix as otherwise the chicken will not be able to grind the food up.
Chickens do not chew but instead use small stones in their crops to grind up food to help in digestion. So you have to provide grit in the food for them.
You might also find that raising the food and water dishes up off the floor or ground so the bird can get its lower beak in them more horizontally will help with it being able to eat.
Hope this helps!
Expert:  Joann Canafax replied 11 years ago.
Hi I have had a similar problem with a pet turkey. What I gave hermy was baby food, canned vegetables,oatmeal,cream of wheat sometimes thier beaks regenerate. Did it bleed? and if it seems painful you could rub a little aloe vera to sooth and promote healing. Hopefully its beak will grow back also you could grind already shelled sunflower seeds and maybe soak his pellets in water you may have to hand feed the little guy I suggest with an eyedropper hope this helps and keep me posted!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: thank you very much but i have one question could i feed him chicken feed with water too
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes I would try grinding it up a bit so it would mix better with the water - maybe use a blender to mix it all up? - you know that will be a balanced food which is important.
Also make sure to refresh the food and clean the dish well as the slurry you make might mold or spoil easily.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: thank you to im very happy you answered my question .thank you