Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

My German Short Hair girl was mated approx. 2 1/2 wks

Customer Question

My German Short Hair girl was mated approx. 2 1/2 wks ago and is now spotting, is this anything to worry about? Have already called vet and she has an appt.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

A little spotting is normal.  Bleeding is not normal.

Because they are pregnant with multiple babies, they can often abort one and you will see some bleeding. 

Your best bet is to see the vet to rule out a bigger problem.  This would also be a good time to deworm the mom if you have not done so already.

Good luck!

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: My husband took her to the vet, was/is spotting but he said something about Pyometra? Why would he think this and could have mating her brought this on? Last tying (mating episode) was on 4/16/05. We as well and the stud's owner were looking forward to the litter.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I think I'd consider an ultrasound to see what was going on in the uterus of your dog.
Pyometra is an infection of the uterus and is a possibility any time a female is in season as the cervix is open to the passage of bacteria as well as sperm cells.
If the male dog was not tested prior to breeding for any of the canine sexually transmitted diseases this could also be the issue. Ideally both dogs are checked for such issues before a breeding is done.
Tammy is correct that this could indicate the loss of a single fetus. Your vet was right that it might be pyometra.
If its not a bloody spotting and not foul smelling it might also be what breeders sometimes call 'puppy matter' which is a sticky discharge present on the vulva of pregnant female dogs. Some girls keep it cleaned up and in others it drips some.
An ultrasound might tell you if there were the sort of changes expected for pregnancy or if an infection was the problem. You can ultrasound for pregnancy in a dog as early as 18-20 days with reasonable results.
If it is determined to be pyometra and you do not wish to spay your dog there is alternative treatment available using prostaglandins to help with this infection.
If you are not comfortable with your vets approach to this problem ask for a referal to a vet who specializes in reproduction veterinary medicine who should be up to date on the latest techniques.
I hope this helps!
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

Did the vet run any bloodwork? Is the dog showing any other signs other than spotting??

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Dr V:
Our vet did run some blood work this afternoon, we expect the results in tomorrow. What concerns me is that she shows no other signs such as fever, vomiting, excessive drinking, etc. She's been playing with the kids as normal. I just don't want to do anything agressive and possibly risk her or if she is pregnant do any harm to the pups either.

If you want you can let me know the results of the bloodwork and I can help from there.

It is too early to be anymore aggressive than that. Pyometra wouldn't really be a ruleout at this point...and with the breeding only being less than 2 weeks out, not even an ultrasound would show you much as far as fetal presence of life.  Right now there may be small amounts of fluid in the uterus...but too early to do much else.

Now...in a couple more weeks if the dog is sick..pyometra will become a possibility. Breeding, in my experience does not cause pyometra any more often than other causes. There are many factors that go into breeding so the best thing for now is to look at the bloodwork.

If she is acting normal, aside from some spotting and the bloodwork looks okay...you can pursue an ultrasound in 2-3 weeks to determine if she has vital puppies.

Dr.V