NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

greyhound: adopted..sweetest..Probably a bit on the spoiled side.

Customer Question

I adopted a greyhound 4 years ago. She is the sweetest dog, and very good tempered. Probably a bit on the spoiled side. We recently moved to Amarillo TX and she escaped once. Fortunetly she was found and with no injuries. However, the persistency to escape again has increased. What can I do to avoid this heart ache when I can't see her every second? I've heard before that sometimes dogs run away when they are ill or dying to avoid a heart break for the owner..is this true? Thank you!
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
While racing greyhounds are used to hours each day of inactivity they are also accustomed to good bursts of time where they can burn off energy. The escaped greyhounds I've seen usually run about the length of a track before being ready to be caught by their worried owners.
Greyhounds also can have pretty strong prey drives so if there are enticing things outside your property a hound is apt to try and get to where it can have the fun of chasing them.
It sounds to me like she is seeking exercise and entertainment.
I've seen hounds get a lot of fun out of chasing a lure - either in official lure coursing or simply a cast rag using a fishing rod (no hooks!) and the rag is reeled in or whipped around to get the dog to chase it.
I've heard of dogs having fun chasing a remote control car with a fluttery rag on it too.
Some hounds also have fun doing agility.
I believe you can find links to lure coursing and agility info off of www.dog-play.com.
At 4 your dog is mature and likely in her prime. You are probably feeding her well and she has energy to burn. I think if you find a way to keep her entertained and a bit more tired you'll have fewer escape issues.
If there is wildlife teasing her a privacy fence might help too. Sight hounds work on visual cues so removing the temptation by blocking the view might help too. I used some of the blue plastic tarps to block my dog's view of annoying neighbor dogs and that worked fine for me though the color was a bit bright!
Hope this helps!

Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy,

Thank you for the information on my Greyhound! I am going to work more at making sure she gets out the energy bursts and see if that helps her live up to the "45 mile an hour couch potatoe" name. We have 2 other dogs too..and I've always assumed they entertain each other..but sounds like mom needs to intervene and spend some quality time with her to make sure the energy is exerted.

Thank you again for taking the time to help ease my worries!
Carrie Ann & Vicki (The Greyhound)
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You are welcome! I hope this works for you.
I feel the dog owner's mantra is
A tired dog is a good dog!
But if you need more help come on back!