ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

bearded dragon

Customer Question

Bearded dragon 1 of 2 well fed & watered plenty of heat, eamaciated and lethargic wont eat,he falls when he tries to move even up against the glass, he is only 7 years old. He recently had some sort of eye problem and I took him to the vet and they gave me an ointment(Vetropolycin)although they could find nothing wrong we assumed that he had gotten some sand or something and it was just irritated. Now he won't open either of his eyes, once in a while he will open the one for a few seconds, I've tried everything. The other dragon has tripled in size and is doing very well. They both have the same living conditions and eat the same things.
I'm not sure what to do. Help please.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joann Canafax replied 11 years ago.
Maybe you should feed them seperately is he eating ? also Sunlight is very important and also maybe a calcium defeciency? are you putting any kind of supplement in thier food? I found this information for you hope it might help!

http://www.reptilerepublic.com/university/stories/hypovitaminosis.html

Hypovitaminosis A in Bearded Dragons
This is nutritional disease and is the result of a diet that is lacking in vitamin A This disease most commonly affects chelonians but I've seen some cases in bearded dragons. Some times reptile owners, gut load their feeder insects (crickets) with a diet that's no adequate to the nutritional needs of a baby or a juvenile dragon also is important to provide adults with foods rich in vitamin A in the veggies diet if not the pathology will be seen

Clinical history
I have a 3 year old bearded female dragon that developed an eye infection or something this morning I came in to work and her eye was swollen shut. She is eating all right and moving around well. My bearded dragon just start to have some problems with the eyes and they haven't been fighting or anything what is happening? I feed my crickets with romaine and potatoes.

Pathognomonic sings
The clinical picture in early stages we can found a mild swelling in the eyelid or the tissue surrounding the eye as the disease progress the swelling will do too, eyes will become red and inflamed ending with the eyes swollen shut. Swollen shut eyes condition contribute to their dietary deficiency because the animals fail to feed themselves

Diagnosis
The early ocular changes of the disease are confirmed to mild eye edema we also can confirm the disease by checking the clinical sings of eye problems and diet history. Histophatologic diagnosis at biopsy should rarely be required.

Treatment
Ok your bearded dragon is suffering something called hypovitaminosis A, this is nutritional disease vitamin A deficiency and I would recommend to gut load your crickets with carrots just in case you still use crickets as part of the diet when juveniles but as adults, they mostly eat veggies give her carrots a lot of them mixed with other veggies of course like dark, leafy greens (e.g., collard greens, kale, red-tipped leaf lettuce, mustard greens, hibiscus flowers) and finely chopped or grated vegetables. Babies dragons are mostly insectivores they start becoming vegetarians gradually as they grow and mature, appropriately-sized crickets (approximately 1/3 the size of the lizard's head, by width or by volume) make up the basis of their diet, with mealworms, wax worms and king mealworm, providing variety for lizards older than one month.

Water soluble vitamin A should be giving weekly by intramuscularly injection until recovery, you must give 5,500UI of vitamin A this is a dose based on a 600 grams body weight if the bearded weight under the 600gr you should give less vitamin A
Food rich in vitamin A should be given: carrots, Broccoli (1 spear has 232 RE of vitamin A) but you would have to eat almost 9 broccoli spears to equal the vitamin A in one carrot corn, peas, lima beans, winter squash
Recovery will take a month
Maybe go to the vet to show you how to do the injections of the 5,500UI of vitamin A weekly until recovery
Fluids may have to be administered in species whose feeding habits are effected by sight in order to maintain proper hydration
Antibiotic ointments to prevent secondary bacterial infections in the eyes (optional)

I give you credit for raising these herps I have a friend who has 2 huge iguanas and she has had them for a very long time and they are spoiled rotten!
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 What does his diet consist of? How often are you feeding him?