Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

lab: Since last october she has had drainage from her left nostril.

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old chocolate lab. Since last october she has had drainage from her left nostril. It has gotten worse. Her symptons now are severe drainage (yellow thick) chronic sneezing at times and most recently her left eye now has drainage. She is on prendizone twice daily to stop the inflamation. She was sneezing up blood with out the prendizone. And also some eye drops. She has been seen by her regular vet and a specialist. She has had blood work done and 2 rinoscopys her last one was in feb. Both of the tests ca,e back inconclusive. They did not see any foreign object, nor did the biopsys come back seeing any cancer or fungal disease. She had some bone damage though in that side. Before her last rinoscopy we were treating her for fungal in hopes that was what it was. She was on itraconizile for 7 weeks. When she went to see the specialist he said sometimes that medicine doesnt work. So besides her rinoscopy we had her treated for fungal with the fluid that was inserted by a tube in her nasal cavity. The tests came back inconclusive but with signs indicating it could be fungal. I am at lost and have only a few tears left. I really dont have any hope, but i pray every day for her. We have spent so much $$$ on her so far we cant afford a ct or mri scan which we were told would be the next step. Do you have any advice. What if it was fungal and it was in her sinus's? would the treatment that was done have helped. Do you think it is cancer although it didnt show up. And if she had it since last october would cancer have shown more symptons? Please help? My dog's name is Belle
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

Belle,

It sounds like you are in a tight situation. Unfortunately, the scans are the next step.  Infection vs. Cancer seems like it would be easy to determine...but in certain locations, sometime we don't know.  The areas are hard to penetrate with medications...the assumption would be infection due to her age...but we never know.

You are probably seeing wonderful veterinarians who want this to be diagnosed almost as much as you, but it may not happen...the scans would be next.

The failure to really respond doesn't mean it is not fungal.

Dr.V