NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

miniature schnauzer: my 10 year..10 year old..antibiotics and steroids

Customer Question

on tuesday morning, my 10 year old minature schnauzer, barney, had to be anesthetized for the vet to be able to take a biopsy and cultures from his nose. he has had a nasty infection going on for several weeks. we treated it with antibiotics and steroids for 10 days. that helped clear and reduce the drainage from the nose and stop the minor bleeding that was occuring. however, as soon as he completed the antibiotics, it all came back again. the vet x rayed him and found that there was a great deal of fungal infection in the right nostril and quite a bit in the left. i brought him home on tuesday afternoon and he ate a little food that evening and drank quite a bit of water. his elimination is fine. wednesday, he drank water throughout the day, but would not eat last night, no matter what i tempted him with. he slept almost all day. by the way, the vet gave him an antibiotic injection and i am giving him antibiotics. last night, i had to crush them (they are chewable) and mix with a little water and give to him by dropper beccause he would not take them. today, he got up and went outside and was able to urinate and do a little bowel movement. however, he refused to drink. i have not tried him with any food yet today. i called the vet's office and the vet is out of town. we do not have the results of the cultures back yet. the vet's office told me that if he was not drinking by this afternoon to bring him in and they would hydrate him. he is showing interest today and is right now lying and looking out the screen door. he actually sat up and got a little excited when a car parked in front of the house...he likes to greet all guests. so i do believe that he has not given up on life. i am just not sure what to do. is this normal after anesthesia?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This actually might be a problem with the dog not reacting well to the antibiotics. Sometimes they can cause gastric distress and lack of appetite.
Try him with some water that has a little sugar in it (two tablespoons to a liter) to help perk his appetite up and maybe some treat type food like cooked chicken.
If he won't drink definitely get him in to be hydrated and ask if this could be a complication from the antibiotic and if there is something else you could use instead if it is.
Hope this helps!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy: the results of the tests came back as extensive necrotic and hemorrhagic with fungal hyphae, fungal rhinitis...probably aspergillus. i tried everything to get him to eat...yogurt, a special ground meat with liver and chicen mixed with beef broth to make it soupy, chicken, every treat he has ever loved, etc. he will not even try and if i put some on his lips, he just buries his head. he drank some water this morning, about 1/2 cup. last night he was so weak he could barely walk...i think this happens late in the day. today he is a little stronger this morning, but the nose is bleeding and the stench is horrible from the infection. i was looking on the internet and i do not believe there is much of a chance of recovery, so i have decided to put him down. if you disagree, please let me know.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Oh I am so sorry to hear this! Its awful to have to make that decision but I think it is kinder than leaving our fur friends to suffer through such a condition.
If your vet agrees that treatment is not likely to be helpful then I think you know what is best for your friend. They are never with us long enough and each loss of a pet is hard.
If you have not seen this site it might bring some comfort to you http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
if you have to make the hard decision.
My feeling with pets is that you do what you can and then grant them the kindness of a comfortable parting when no more can be done. We do what is right for the animal no matter how much our hearts may ache.
In deepest sympathy,
Nancy
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

Does your vet feel that the fungus is a primary pathogen or that this is secondary.

If this is a treatable infection...there are ways around the feeding issue for now, until the infection clears...if your vet thinks there is a chance.

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: from the lab reports, we believe that the aspergillus is the primary pathogen. there is no evidence of cancer..the lab report said severe hemorrhage, necrosis and fibrinosuppurative rhinitis with superficial mats of fungal hyphae..extensively necrotic and hemorrhagic..fungah rhinitis confirmed. no neoplasia in the sample. fungi are likely aspergillus specias. today, Barney is a little better...actually drank water with being coaxed, but only about a 1/2 cup. still will not eat. is a little more active in that he will get up and walk to the door and walk outside a short distance if i am right there. i tried to tempt him with yogurt, mushed up dog food of liver and chicken, thinned to the consistency of yogurt by adding beefstock. he would not touch any of it. if i tried to coax him by putting some on his lips, he would bury his face. last night he was having trouble walking. could only take a few steps before he would have to sit or lie down.

My problem is my vet is out of town until monday and i do not know what to do. my gut feeling is that if he keeps drinking even a little water and i can continue to get the antibiotics down him, he may be "okay" until the vet gets back. however, his nose bleeds very easily and the smell is so horrid that it makes me nauseous...think what it does to him! I do not know if there is hope for recovery with the amount of damage to the nasal tissue...about 75 %. i do not want him to suffer.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: thank you for your compassion and website referral. Customer

Well, let me know if you need any further help, it sounds like you have made a decision.

My thoughts are with you.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thank you. my vet relayed a message to me that he wants to do some research on monday, but that he feels there may be a chance for recovery from the fungal infection by cleaning out the nasal passages and packing the nose with an antifungal medication. i just don't know what i will do. if he can assure me that there is a reasonable belief that Barney can survive that surgery in his current weakened state and that there is a reasonable belief that he will be able to recover from the infection, i may consider it. if not, i am really not into extraordinary measures that will either traumatize the dog or kill him and that have only a small chance of success...especially with a huge $$ tag. thank you for taking the time to reply.

Customer,

You need to consider, if going thru with this procedure...the benefits of placing a gastric or esophageal tube for your dog's feeding.

Your dog is in discomfort and should be on painkillers, but the inability to smell food  mixed with pain, causes them to stop eating.  IF your vet feels that the pain can be managed...and the infection can be controlled, you may want to talk about the placement of the feeding tube. It allows your dog to get the appropriate amount of food and water without messing around his face. I strongly recommend it.

Let me know how it goes.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Once again, i appreciate your advice. You are kind and generous with your time. Thank you! Customer