NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

bed..licking himself..dr cant see him until tomorrow

Customer Question

This am i noticed a blood stain on bed sheet~mini daschound has been excessivly licking himself for approxXXXXXcan't see him until tomorrow
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This could be anything from an urinary tract infection, to a problem with bladder or kidney stones, to a sheath infection.
Stones can be a problem in Dachshunds and any dog can get an infection.
You might try calling your vet back to see if they can fit him in today as it sounds like he is pretty uncomfortable. Sometimes if you increase the urgency in how you feel about the problem space can open up in some vet's schedules to see your pet.
Your dog might feel better if you can get him to drink some extra fluids. Chicken broth, or pedialyte, or making a home made pedialyte type solution by adding 2 tablespoons sugar and a teaspoon of salt to a liter of water to put in his water bowl might help him drink more. That will mean he will need more trips out though.
If it turns out to be an infection make sure to wash and disinfect his bedding once he is on medications - a little bleach or lysol when you wash the bedding should work.
Hope this helps you both!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: As I have no children of my own, he is my baby!~I can't thank you enough for your qick response~This service IS the best ever!
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You are welcome - hope your dachsie is feeling better soon!