NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

parakeet with gout

Customer Question

My beloved bird, Chiffon, was just diagnosed with Gout. The Vet said it is due to her eating too much seed. We have always fed her healthy people food, in addition to seed…..and didn’t know that perhaps we never should have fed her any seed at all. She also eats pellets.

When I asked the Vet about it and why more birds don’t get Gout, he said why do you think so many parakeets don’t live more than 7 years in captivity? This is very sad.

When you buy a parakeet, the pet stores give you no guidelines about care, and most bird owners…especially new ones….likely have no idea that seed can kill their bird (Gout can be fatal in birds) and that people food and pellets is the way to go. It infuriates me that the bird seed cos. are profiting at the expense of these poor loving birds.

Is there anything that can be done to raise awareness of how to take care of a parakeet so it lives a long, quality life? I’d be happy to participate and do what I can.

I’m also wondering what is recommended holistically to treat a bird with Gout? I have read about tart cherries, dandelion, alfalfa and kelp. Her doctor also suggested milk thistle, and a nutritionist friend suggested flax. Her Vet put her on Allopurinol. Said her liver is somewhat enlarged, and she has a foot in a splint currently since she was limping. The splint comes off today.

I can be reached at 516/773-0911.

Thanks very much. Look forward to hearing back from you.

What can be done holistically to treat a parakeet with gout?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You might find this site of help and interest to you http://www.holisticbirds.com/ if you have not already found it.
Many articles and a forum are available on it including holistic treatments.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I have already been on that site. I was looking for other recommendations from a specialist. I have done my own research on the web.

For example....the Vet said to take her off seed completely and rely on pellets, greens, fruit, pasta....but I've heard from others that seed is ok and would not have been the cause of Gout.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
OK - I saw stuff like white willow use listed on that site which was something you had not mentioned so I passed the site along as a potential resource for you.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I want to know what to focus on for her for the optimum results. How many supplements can I give to her? And...should she be off seed completely?

I'm not familiar with white willow.

Are you a bird expert? That is what I'm looking for. From what I see, your expertise is dogs.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I've only had a few birds but your question intrigued me so I've been watching it hoping you'd get an answer. As you had notas yet gotten one I did some research on the topic and thought you might like that website I found as it seemed to cover widely the holistic question you asked and might have the info you needed.
My theory simply was that some help might be better for your bird than no help. Apologies if that isn't what you needed or wanted!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: NO need to apologize Nancy. I appreciate the effort, but would like someone with avian experience to offer their opinion rather than refer me to a website with information and leave it in my hands to decide what to do.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
With any luck our conversation will pop it up to the top of questions and maybe get you your answer!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: That would be great. Appreciate your attention.