Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

pug: her hind right leg my vet is closed today could this be her hip

Customer Question

my pug has a long lump in front of her hind right leg my vet is closed today could this be her hip
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 Is your dog walking? Exhibiting any pain when you touch the lump?

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: IF I TRY TO GRAB IT SHE SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE ANNOYED BUT NOT EXHIBITING ANY SEVERE PAIN
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
THE LUMP IS VERY LONG - ALMOST LIKE A MUSCLE

If this was her hip...in some way, it would be painful and she would be limping.

If you look under the fur..is the skin red or irritated? I guess I am trying to figure out if the lump is within the skin itself and swollen like from a bite/insect sting...OR if it is deeper and under the skin and not involving the skin.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: SHE IS DEFINITELY NOT LIMPING THE LUMP IS TOTALLY UNDER THE SKIN AND THE SKIN IS NOT RED OR IRRITATED.IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE IT INVOLVES THE SKIN IT IS VERTICALLY LONG RIGHT ABOVE THE HIP BONE
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
SHE IS OVERWEIGHT - COULD IT BE A SWOLLEN MUSCLE I AN SO NEVOUS - IT WISH MY VET WAS OPENED TODAY

Well, if she is not painful, acting sick, or bothered by the swelling..I would leave it alone and watch.  IF she starts to show distress or discomfort...you can look for an emergency vet...but for now I would just watch and take her in to the vet in the morning.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
THE LUMP IS ON HER SIDE AND GOES UP INTO HER BACK PLEASE REPLY,.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH I APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY

There are fat folds, lipomas (fat tumors)...there is not a lot that will do what you describe. It is not a common place for a herniation...at truly am at a loss for you. If it was swelling from an injury ...it would produce some pain.

Dr.V