Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Guinea pig hair loss

Customer Question

My childs guinea pig is about 4 yrs old she is a short hair light brown in color, she is eating fine and appears to be healthly has no lumps or hard spots on her belly but is losing alot of her hair,It started about 3 months ago,at the lower end of her back. we feed here the best food available, she get banana peels, apple peels and vitiams added to her water..is this old age???? How long do they live ? My 10 yr. old is very upset thanks.... Jim
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

The life span is 4-8 years.

They can lose hair with nutritional issues, and housing issues...if you are sure that is okay..another big one in female g.pigs is hormonal...they get cystic ovaries.

I recommend making a few calls on Monday and see if you can find a vet  comfortable with G.pigs and with an in house ultrasound machine.  What we usually do is use a light anesthesia gas, ultrasound and the ovaries..and if they are cystic, we recommend spaying the G.pig. 

I guess before you do this, a discussion of $$ needs to happen. Most people don't hesitate with a cat or dog, but the smaller creatures don't get many procedures.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you for your quick reply..When you said housing issues she is in a cage by herself we try to clean it every other day but sometimes it goes three days, we are going to do it every day now... we use pine shavings on the bottom...Do you recommend a cage with a grate so they do not sit in their own waste...I was told that because of their feet style this was not good..should I increase the amount of vitamins in her water,and give her fresh fruit daily..we feed her vita guinea she does at times poop in her food bowl,we clean it out as soon as we see it could that be a issue...Thank you..

Cleaning with fresh pine shavings is good as long as the pig has always used pine. There are some grates that are smaller ...but I don't think you should change everything all of a sudden. The vitamins, you need to make sure that you are giving the recommended dose. Vitamin C degrades quickly, so if it is an old bottle, replace it. Fresh fruit does help.

I still think it most likely is ovarian, but a vet would need to look at the skin and hair loss, they can have mites and other issues that you can not see with just your eyes!

Dr.V