Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Too attached Siamese

Customer Question

Is it common for Siamese to suffer from separation anxiety? How to reduce it? I am retired so have spent many hours with my pet. She even sleeps with me. When I do go out for the day it seems she scratches herself above one eye almost to the base of her ear.
Thank you for your time
Norma Kelly
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
It's pretty common for cats to become very dependent on their owners.  There is a great medication that helps with the problem called Homeopet (www.homeopet.com) .  I suggest that you give it a try.  I have also listed some common tips for you below.

How to deal with this problem

Once a cat starts doing an abnormal behavior, it is often very difficult to modify it. The best thing to consider, is trying to prevent it happening in the first place. There are some very easy techniques, and tips, that can help.

If you are going to be gone for more than a few hours, ask a friend or neighbor to look in on the cat. People will often do this if they are going away for a weekend or longer, but don’t think of it on the occasions they must work late, or get held up somewhere. If you have no-one willing to do this, hire a professional pet sitter, who will go in at short notice, on a phone call from you.

Its always a great idea to have more than one cat [pet], but I know this isn’t always practical. It is very true though that 2 cats are not any more trouble than one, and can amuse each other. So, the thing to do is make your home environment as interesting as possible.

Do this by…..

• Leaving your cat some toys to play with. Good ones are catnip mice, crinkle balls, lightweight balls etc. In the larger category, they love track-ball, tunnels, even cardboard boxes hidden away that they can hide in, especially if they contain shredded newspaper. Cat trees are very popular, and cats love them as they can sit up high and watch everything that’s going on. I have several toys that I can tie to my railing, that make a noise when touched, and they love these.
  • Leaving a radio or television on, so there is noise to be heard.
  • Some cats love watching a specific cat video of birds and fish. Its not often that a cat will enjoy “Jeopardy” like my Cleo does.
  • Leave one of those balls around that contain a treat for your cat. These balls have to be worked in order to release a treat, but cats love them.
  • Leave some catnip under a couch, maybe in a pouch, and change the position of it daily.
  • Leave your moggie a choice of places to sleep. You might put a blanket on a couch or a bed, which they can sleep in, under or on; a cat bed behind a coffee table next to a heater; another blanket on top of the fridge etc. I’m sure you get the picture. It’s so much better for them if they can change places to nap. The trick is to make your home CAT-FRIENDLY.

In summary, you must be realistic in what you expect of your cat. This will vary from owner to owner, and with each cat. You must accept the things they do by nature, and not try to change that. For every inappropriate action your cat takes, there is a strategy to deal with it. Always look at the easiest things first, as they are also the easiest dealt with. You must have patience, understanding and creativity. Never scold a cat who has done something wrong after the fact. This is totally useless, because they do not associate that the problem was their doing in the first place, so would no comprehension of why you are shouting. You can only ever do this at the time of the misdemeanor, and then use a firm "NO".  Never strike a cat as it will become more fearful.

Separation anxiety

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Your response was very helpful. First, the books I've read have said the Siamese do not become attached. They suggest this is dog behavior. I thought perhaps I was making an error in believing that she was demonstrating 'attachment' or 'lonesome'behavior.
Thanks
Norma