Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Hookworm & Tapeworm

Customer Question

My dog was just diagnosed with and treated for hookworms and possible tapeworms. He was playing with, licking, etc. another dog this past weekend. Is is contagious to the other dog? Is it possible that she could get either type of worm? They were together about an hour and a half. Also, how contagious is either worm to me? Am I in danger of getting either hookworms or tapeworms? If so, what are the symmtoms I might experience?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Generally speaking the answer is "no" although it's possible for people to catch dog or cat tapeworms or hookworms under certain bizarre circumstances. When proper common sense hygiene is observed people will not become infected with dog or cat tapeworms. It should be noted, however, that people can get infected on occasion with other species of tapeworms but not from dog or cat tapeworms.
Humans usually get tapeworms from eating poorly cooked meat products (beef or pork).

source

Tapeworms come from fleas, typically, when found on pets. 

Let me know if you have more questions.   

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: What about the first part of my question- how likely is the other dog that mine played with to catch the worms from him?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: What about the first part of my question- how likely is the other dog mine played with to get the worms??
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Tapeworms are from injesting fleas.  It does not pass from dog to dog.  Hookworms works the same way.