Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

rottweiler: extremely dehydrated and no bowel movement..liver..toy

Customer Question

We have 1.5 yr female rottweiler with no previous medical problems,current on vacinations that approx 5 days ago seemed a little moody on day one which progressed into lathargic by dy three and an apparent fliud filled abdomen. I'm triing to give all details from memory as Dr has all lab results still.Initial xrays were mottled from the fluid and blood test had white [email protected],000,red cell [email protected]%TRIGLYCERIDES HIGH,I believeit was phosphate levels up(from memory).She was extremely dehydrated and no bowel movement in 2-3days.Emerg Dr suspected Adissons or blockage.They gave her fluid under the skin and Baytrill.Next day went to diff Emerg vet and admitted her w/ I.V. fluid&antibiotics.Dogs temp was low entire time.Did biopsy of abdomen fliud and found clear consistancy with orange/yellow color.Quick Ultrasound showed small/normall liver,spleen%kidney was deemed ok.Started Barrium [email protected] with xrays till 3am.New xrays done @8am next morning which showed fluid moving through intestines fine but stomach ouline was still very prevalent and had a small shaded line next to the stomach wall in several images which looked like a possible foreign object.Dog had shredded a rope dog toy earlier in mid week.Another biopsy of fluid was done with same consistancy of fliud,no sepsie present,but some mast cells along with another kind of cell that I cannot remember the name of but as the doctor put it they not supposed to be there and they're pissing the other cells off.We rwn another panel of blod work in prep for surgery.Her clotting # XXXXX a little high(I believe from mem it [email protected]?)and something to do with her protein/red blood [email protected]?They administerd plasma and started the surgery.1.5hrs into it no obstructions were present,the liver had some dark spots on it,the kidneys and intestines were inflammed.Biiopsies were taken of all organs and will be sent for further tests.No tumors were found.I understand that the labs would tell you al lot more but I just don't have them,I would be greatly interetestyed in your opinion based upon the details I have provided thus far.If you have any specifics about the test please let me know as I can make a phone call.Thank You,Erik
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 Was the heart considered normal?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: yes.and the fluid was weighed and did not fall into the range of heart issue.sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part as it relates to the specific medical jargon/terms.