NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

Samoyed: spayed..very arthritic right knee joint..hardwood floors

Customer Question

My 8 y.o. spayed Samoyed female has a very arthritic right knee joint, probably from a previous undiagnosed fracture in puppyhood, although the patella seems uninvolved. She has a lot of trouble on the hardwood floors with slipping and resultant pain, especially when trying to get up. Can I adhere anything to her paws so that she will have more traction inside, and so she can get up more easily? I don't know if she will keep boots on. I am a physical therapist and have access to splinting materials. Can I in some way attach dycem to her pads? We have tried lots of secured area rugs but allergies forced us to get away from rugs. We love Sophie and want to make so she can be more comfortable in the house.                    Liz Baker
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You can try the rubber matting used in stair treads as your runners - they can be washed right off. You don't want the stuff with the backing that sticks to rugs but rather the ribbed rubber (usually black) that is put on stair treads to make them non slip. Try the flooring area in a building supply store. Its not pretty but it can work.
If that is not your choice for home flooring you could try the grass matt type of rug - either real or if its better for your allergies the fake stuff. Both of those types of flooring offer a firm grip and can also be hosed down to remove dust and allergens.
They do make products like Tacky Paw to help dogs not slip in the dog show ring. Try looking for it over at www.froogle.com. I'm not sure how often you would neet to apply it in a day though.
Some professional handlers simply dip their dogs pads in cola to make them 'tacky' but I suspect around the house that would attract insects and be otherwise annoying.
Finally you could consider dog booties that are made to help sled dogs get a better grip on icy and snowy trails. You can probably find a variety of them through froogle too.
Hope this helps!