NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

older staf cant eat and has trouble with bowel movment stool is black

Customer Question

13 YR OLD STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER WONT EAT AND VOMITS WHAT HE TRIES TO EAT HAD BOWEL MOVMENT AFTER MILK AND CASTER OIL AND MOVEMENT WAS BLACK AND TAR CONSISTENCY WHATS WRONG WITH MY FRIEND? He hasnt eaten and held the food down since last friday. he is lethargic and is in pain as i here him moaning at night while sleeping. Please help him.
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Black and tarry stools indicate bleeding in the upper gastro intestinal tract. This could be from anything including an ulcer (dogs get them too!), cancer, a foreign object that has made a puncture (including things like bone chips) and so on.
Some of the problems this could be are very curable and some might not be. When you see stools like this in an animal the best bet is to have a vet exam done including whatever lab work the vet thinks might be needed to give them the best chance at diagnosing for treatment.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: this doesnt help me as i knew this from human anatomy. this was absolutely worthless what a rip.
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 Is there a reason you have not taken your dog into a vet yet?

Dr.V

Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I'm sorry you feel that you did not get the kind of answer you were looking for here. Had you mentioned you knew the information I gave I would not have given you the explanation.
Just so you know this for future reference you did not need to accept my answer.
Specialists try to answer the questions you ask.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: My vet has scheduled him to visit tomorrow @ 11:45 am he couldnt be seen before this and as of 5 mins ago he threw up everything hes tried to eat today. he was on prednizone 5mg for athritis 1 month ago but he hasnt had that for 2 weeks he took it for 16 days. The information hasnt helped but i understand that this is a web site minor injuries and helpful tips not true vetrinary help so if youre offended i appologize but everyone in my family is in human medicine so the fact that theres bleeding in the upper GI tract as evidenced by black stool is a common theory. thanks anyway

Earl
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Not offended at all just sorry I couldn't help you!
Dr V may have more helpful advice for you.
I do know how awful it is to have a good dog friend ill with no way to really help - I hope your pet's vet has positive news for you tomorrow!