NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

cat: My 6 yr..yr old..bowel movements..however, she always urinates

Customer Question

My 6 yr old indoor cat has two problems that I cannot seem to solve. 1.
At times, she has a bowel movements right outside the cat box, however,
she always urinates inside the box. I keep the box clean and the box is
always available. I am sure she is sending a message, but what is it? 2. On
a daily basis she spits up hairballs. I have tried changing foods - wet/dry/
combo and water is always available and I have administered a laxative
(from my vet). Any suggestions?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If there is a possibility that she is in the box but her rear is hanging over it leaving the stool outside the box you might find using a large plastic storage bin for a litter box will help. You can get the bin and either cut a hole in the lid or cut the lid in half to provide a spot for the cat to jump up on to get in or out of the box. The catch is these tubs seldom have a smooth bottom so scooping and or washing them out can be a bit bigger chore than usual.
What I have found helps with my cat's spring hairball situation is a combination of the laxative stuff plus brushing the cat daily during peak shedding season. I use a soft slicker brush to help remove the fur. Recently I tried combing over my cat with the thickest coat with what is called a magnet stripping blade size fine used to removed the coat on terrier type dogs. I found that got a lot of undercoat off of her in a very short amount of time. The stripping blades can be found on sale in pet supply catalogs such as www.petedge.com or you can go over to www.froogle.com and put in the words - magnet stripper fine - and check the sites that come up.
You might also try increasing the omega three fatty acids your cat gets as that additive can help reduce shedding. They can be found in a variety of fish oil supplements for cats.
The cat has to get rid of the loose hair and if you want it gone without the cat eating it that means you have to help remove it!
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thank you for your response. The issue with the cat box is not
just outside the box but in the hallway outside the bathroom
where the catbox is located. I first thought she was having some
separation anxiety issues because she first started doing this
when we were not at home. Now, she does it at least 4-5 times a
week, no particular pattern, sometimes during the night or day,
sometimes in the box and sometimes not. The fact that she
urinates in the box but not always bowel movements really is
puzzling to me.
I will start increasing the omega 3 fatty acids and see wha
happens. I am currently brushing her almost daily. Thank you for
your help.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I should have taken that into consideration too for you sorry!
Things you can try for the out of box pooping include increasing the fiber in her diet in case the stools are getting too hard so that she starts in the box and then finishes elsewhere. Canned pumpkin is one additive that can help with that if you think that might be it.
Clean up the area she has used with one of the enzyme based cleaners so she will not be attracted back to the spot to use it again. Lots of them on the market including Simple Solution, Nature's Miracle and Odor Mute just for a starter list of possible cleaners.
You might try putting into use a second cat box in another location near her alternative potty spot of choice.
And if you recently swapped cat litters to a different brand you might want to go back to the old kind.
I really was astounded at how much more hair I got off my cat using the stripping tool I described. I'd finished brushing her and decided to see if any hair came off with the stripper and took what seemed like another whole cat's worth off her! and that made a difference to her hair ingestion of course!