Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

dont cant move his legs

Customer Question

i have a large dog you recently started to have problem getting up on his hind legs now it gone to his front legs he cant seem to get up at all can you help me
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If he can't get up at all, you need to see the vet immediately.  This could be a treatable condition today but not be one tomorrow.

He may be having some problems with aging or it could be a back or disc problem.  It's impossible to tell without seeing the vet.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: the dog is not hurt in his bone he has been after a bitch dog he only about 3 years old very out going dog he can stand on his front legs for a short period of time he is eating and drinking fine could it be his prostate
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
my dog is a 3 year old dog very active he is drinking and eating fine he can stand on his front leg and he tries to get up on his back legs he has been running after a bitch dog could this not be the problem
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

How long was the progression from rear limb problems to front limb problems?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
about 2 days if i help him up he can stand on his front legs

There are spinal injuries that can cause paresis...but the other thing that causes "ascending paresis" which means from the backend forward, is Tick Paralysis.

Before you go to the vet tomorrow, which I suggest if this doesn't work...

You and a family member need to sit down and literally pick thru this dog for the tick.  It only takes one with the toxin.  Do not assume because you pull three off...it is one of those three. GO THRU EVERY TOE, INSIDE/OUTSIDE EAR, look on face around the eyes, armpits, rectum, genitals. I can not tell you in NC how many times we see this and people swear there is no more ticks...and I find one.  If you can dedicate about an hour of time to pick thru your dog...this may save you some $$.

After the removal of the tick, if that is the cause, recovery is within 24 hours and complete.

Dr.Vamvakias

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: it was about 2 days he was getting up on his back legs but just sat there trying to lift them up in 2 days the front legs he couldnt get them up with out help if i help him he can stand on the front legs

Please read response.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: i have already looked for ticks like you said before you told me i did it throughly i dont think this is the problem but thank you for your help
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I appreciate your time but this is not very helpful to me i had already done the things you said before you said to do it and everyone done told me to take him to the vet. I was hoping you could give me some advice about what kind of treament to give him to help him.

thank you

With neurological signs there is not much more you can do at home. The vet has to do a series of reflex type exams to try to figure out if the problem is in the spine or brain or other issue.

Good luck,

Dr.V