Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine

Guinea Pig Cant Walk

Our guinea pig keeps losing his balance and falling over. He is not able to use his back legs. What could be wrong with him?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 How old is your g.pig? What are you feeding him? Is he receiving adequate Vitamin C?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: We rescued him from the Humane Society where we were told that he was 6 months old. We believed that because he was very small. We have only had him for 1 month and he has grown a little and put on some weight. I am feeding him the pellets and also fresh fruits and veggies. I also put the vitamin C in his water. In the past few days he has been very wobbly and when he walks he loses his balance. I called some vets yesterday, and no one could see him, so I am taking him tonight to see a vet. Do you think it could be scurvy? Is what he might have treatable?

Being a g.pig...that is always our first ruleout. Many of the problems that develop with these guys are nutritional or environmental.

The one thing I can think of is called "Guinea Pig Paralysis Syndrome" ...starts with mild fever and sporadic urination, followed by weight loss and posterior paresis (hindend weakness)...then progresses to paralysis. the cause is unknown, but the condition appears nontransmissible.  Long term survival is poor.

Let me know how the vet visit goes.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you very much. It saddens me to think that that's what it could be. I hope that you are wrong, but it sounds like you are probably right. He is such a sweet little guy, I feel so bad for him. I will let you what the vet has to say. Thanks again.