NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

shih tzu: inguinal hernia which is genitic and ear mites

Customer Question

I purchased a shih tzu (akc born 1/12/05) on
March 12 found out she had an inguinal
hernia which is genitic and ear mites. I'm
planning on contacting the AKC about the
breeder in regards XXXXX XXXXX hernia. The
breeder claims she told us which she never.
Weeks later the dog started with a cough.
Took the dog to the vet in the morning to get
medication. Later that day called to get
records from vet to file a claim against the
breeder. The vet wanted to check her
hernia again to update the paper work. He
also gave the dog a stronger (liquid)
medicine.About an hour after taking the
medication at home, the dog was
vomiting several times (orange and
mucus-like) and loose stool with mucus and
thin line of blood in stool.Took her to the vet
again that day because she sounded like she
was gasping for air. The vet wanted to keep
her over night for observation. She had a fever
and looked very weak. The 2nd day had
mucus in her eyes. She was
diagnosed with aspirated pneumonia. She
spent three nights at the vet hospital then
passed away the 4th morning (4/9/05).

I just want to know if it is possible she could
have had something else that was not
detected with just a routine check up?Parvo?
Maybe routine shots not given to her by the
breeder? Could blood work detect different
diseases? Is it possible something genetic?
Could I have just spent money on a dog that
was sick....but the vet said she was ok?
Any answers or links would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank you for your time,
Michelle
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I'll see if I can answer some of your questions.
Yes the umbilical hernia is a hereditary defect but for a pet this is not an issue and it could have been easily repaired at spay time.
AKC would not have cared that your dog's breeder produced a pup with a defect as that is not their job. AKC actually simply keeps track of the dog's ancestors and requires breeders to keep accurate track of which dogs are being bred to make sure the family tree is correctly documented. Beyond the fact that the parents are who the breeder says they are AKC cannot control what breeders do or the health of the pups that are produced.
You have had the pup about a month it seems. In that time if the dog was exposed to diseases such as kennel cough or parvo that it was not completely immunized for it could have contracted any or more than one of them.
Preventative shots are done in a series in pups in hopes to ensure the pup gets them when the maternal antibodies wear off and before the pup comes in contact with the disease.
Certainly the dog should have had more in the series of shots by this age than the ones the breeder might have given her before you bought her. As shots differ as to which diseases they help prevent the dog may not have been immunized against the disease she had.
There is a strain of kennel cough that seems to go right into pneumonia very rapidly. There are diseases like corona virus and parvo which could have caused the vomiting and diarrhea.
However it looks like your vet thinks the dog had 'aspiration pneumonia' which is a condition where the pup breathed in something that triggered a pneumonia reaction/infection - perhaps the liquid medicine went down wrong?
Just as in people pneumonia can kill an animal rather quickly despite all the care given. It depends on the type of pneumonia and how well antibiotics work against it.
I am so sorry you lost your puppy. Its really a tragedy to lose a young pet like this. I hope my explanation gave you some help in understanding what might have happened.
If you need a clearer explanation about exactly what your pet had for illness I suggest you go back and ask your vet if he or she will take time to explain it again now that you can think more easily about it.