Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

great dane: ate a ham soup bone yesterday - today..appetite..drink

Customer Question

My great dane ate a ham soup bone yesterday - today I noticed blood in his stool - he acts fine - appetite good and continues to drink his normal amt. of water. I see no changes in his demeanour or activity. I got scared to death when I had him at the park today and saw this in his stool. Can you help me? Is this an indication that something could be seriously wrong and he may need to be brought to the animal hospital asap? He is my life and there is nothing I would not do for him.   
    Sincerely,... Zueas’s Mom trying not to freak out!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

The blood is okay...it can be attributed to the ham bone and some gi upset...but if there is no vomiting...and abdomenal cramping...things will be fine.

If this continues beyond 3 bowel movements...take him in.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post:

Thank you Dr.Vamvakis for you reponse to my concern regarding my Great Dane. I did take him to the animal hospital that night.

I think he may bre fine, however he is not drinking his usual amt. of water. I made him some rice, w/  boiled chicXXXXX XXXXXvers.I added a good amt of water to this.

They put him on a strong antibiotic. Last stool had only a sm.amt of blood. Will the antibiotics have an effect on his fluid consumption ? He is on 500mg of Metronidazole every 12 hrs.I appreciate your reply so much. Never used this site before. I will not get so hasty to transport him next time if the condition permits. I was hit by a semi, 45mph, then head on to into a bldg. Not an easy transport for me, especially late           @night.

Thank you Soooo Much!

Respectfully,

gloria DeForest