NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

nail embedded in pad...help

Customer Question

nail is curved over and embedded into pad..pad is swollen and unable to remove nail to cut it...can i get the swelling down ?? HELP !!
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
My suggestion would be to use the wire cutter type of nail clippers and just clip the nail as best you can to separate the claw from the pad.
Then pull the little bit of claw embedded out (you cans use the clippers to grab and pull it) and treat the infected and inflamed area.
If you really feel the need to try and reduce the swelling before clipping (and want to reduce the pain being felt too) use a cold compress on the area for a few minutes and see if that helps.
You didn't say if this was a dog or a cat (or something else!)but in any case you do need to get the nail out to help the pad heal.
Once you get the nail separated you can then trim or grind it back more so this won't happen again.
I can picture this in my head but let me add a little more explanation in case you can't :)
The wire cutter type nail clippers have an open end so you can just snip through the nail with them from the outside without having to free the nail in order to insert it in a loop like the normal pet clippers tend to have. They are open more like scissors though with a lot smaller cutting surface of course. So you can cut through the circle of nail from the outside with them. Most pet supply places carry them for cats, dogs, birds etc or in a pinch a hardware store (or maybe your home tool box) may have little wire cutters that will do the trick for you.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: thank you..this is my little 31/2 lb yorkie.. i'm kind of afraid to try nad clip the nail..wil regular nail clippers work ?? the pad is really swollen..
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If you can't do it - see if your local Petsmart has a groomer who might do it for you for a small fee maybe?
Perhaps a local dog groomer would do it for a small fee too? You can call and ask them and see.
You might be able to chip through the nail with regular people clippers but a controlled snip would I think be better for you.
Right now it hurts her so you need to do something I'm sure.
If you do it and hit the quick so it bleeds then be ready with some styptic or even in a pinch some cornstarch to sop up any blood and get it to clot.
I suggest once you are past this you check nails every week. I swear little dogs grow nails faster than anything else! You can file them with a diamond file (or regular nail file) if clipping them is too hard for you. A treat after a session usually helps dogs decide its not that bad a deal to get the nails worked on.