Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Chow

Customer Question

My Chow's hair is thinning on his back. When combing him, I found a hot spot. Could this be the cause?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes hot spots can cause hair loss but so can thyroid issues.
It may be worth having a vet check bloodwork if this continues after the hot spot is cleared up.
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience: 30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If your dog had an injury or sore there, there might now be bacteria present and it's causing a "hot spot."  The best way to treat a hot spot is to shave the area completely and wash it well with an antibacterial agent.  Then apply neosporin or other such ointment to the area.  Keeping the area clean and dry will help to speed the healing.

Because they have so much hair, you will also want to think about having a professional groomer trim him in the spring.  This will help to lessen the chances of hot spots.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you, Tammy. Now I have another nasty hot spot. I cut away the hair and blood as much as I could. When I got down to raw meat, I stopped. I washed it well with Neosporim and will do the rest of your advice (above) tomorrow. We also made a make-shift collar so that he couldn't chew or lick on it.

Any other advice?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

The only thing that I would do differently is wash it with a peroxide wash (1 part peroxide to 4 parts water ) or a betadine wash (1 part betadine to 4 parts water). Then dry it REALLY well and THEN apply the neosporin.

Some hot spots need vet treatment so, if you don't start to see improvement, you will want to see the vet.

Good luck!