Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

kittens: stray..eyes close up I wash them with a warm rag..5 weeks old

Customer Question

I have two stray kittens that have a problem with their eyes one kittens eye closes up at night and the other has both eyes close up I wash them with a warm rag so they can see, but they close back up. They are 5 weeks old
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Since you have cleaned the eyes and it keeps coming back, it's time to see the vet.  The kittens might need antibiotics to help with healing.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I am not satisfied with that answer, It's clear that this is not a Spesialist clearly. Pease refund my money.
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

Wendy,

Kittens, especially strays, are prone to the many upper respiratory infections out there in the cat population. The two most common are feline herpes, feline calici, feline chlamydia.

The manifestation of these virsues in kittens are runny noses, sneezing, and eye infections.  The eye infections can eventually lead to the physical destruction of the cornea and loss of the eye.

What Tammy was trying to tell you, is that simple cleaning of the eye matter does not seem to rid your kittens of the problem, there is no at home treatment.

At this point we need to institute medical treatment in order to lessen the damage to the eyes, and to ease the discomfort.

Hope this clears things up for you!

Let me know if you need further explanation.

Dr.Vamvakias