Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Boxer: clean bill of health, he had cbc & Blood chemistry drawn

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 5 year old Boxer and I’ve recently taken him to the vet because of occasional vomiting.    However up until 2 weeks ago the vomiting started to occur pretty much daily, espically in the morning. His last visit to the vet (about 2 weeks ago) came back as a clean bill of health, he had CBC & Blood chemistry drawn. Over these last couple of days the vomiting started to have some discoloration of blood in it. I’ve been giving him Pepicid AC 20 mg. extra strength at night before i go to bed to help prevent the vomiting in the mornings. I’ve noticed that he has lost some weight (not sure how much) but he doesnt desire to eat after vomiting. However he is eating, going to the bathroom, and playing, and is not acting out of the ordinary. He doesnt seem lathargic and I think that the blood in the vomiting is from the "dry heaving" and constant irration from vomiting. The thing is that everytime I bring him to the vet he gets a clean bill of health. I am trying to avoid another costly visit to the vet for this problem. I’ve also changed his food, same brand name different flavor but he still vomites. I’ve been feeding him Iams original formular since he was a puppy. He doesn’t eat table food and has the same dog treats/bones for the last couple of years. I somehow feel that these episodes are occuring because my dog is a nervous dog. I had a kid 2 years ago and now that she is active I have to wonder if maybe my daughter is causing his nerves to react like this. She doesn’t torcher him but maybe her presence in the house now makes him nervous. Could this be possible or does it sound like there is something seriously wrong with him. Also I’ve also been keeping an eye out for blood in his stools and I haven’t seen any. Im trying to find out if there is a way I can try or test or change to eliminate this problem. My vet wants to start to run costly tests and ultrasounds and before I shell out all this money to find out that there might not be anything wrong with him I would like to find out a 2nd opinion and maybe some other things I can try to rule out certain things. Now today all he has been eating is plain white rice that I made which I plan to feed him for the next couple of days to see if this works. Please HELP!!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 With the start of Pepcid AC did you notice a change?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Hi, actually no, I thought it was improving up until this morning. These last 2 days he has still been vomiting but not in the mornings. AS of yesterday I stopped giving him any dog food and just started to give him white rice, however this morning he vomited all that rice up from last night. Then he also vomited again about 2 hours later and thats when i saw that he was heaving alot because there was nothing in his stomach and usually thats when i see blood in the vomit. He's definetly lost weight because you can see his ribs now but its weird cause he's still responsive and he still runs around outside as if he wasn't sick. I know its not normal for a dog to vomit 2x per day. HELP!

It is not normal, and unfortunately you are at the point to go into the next phase of diagnostics.

The may suggest endoscopy with xrays. You can call tomorrow and request a trial run of Reglan (antinausea) medicine and see if it settles things down, but I do think you are at the point that something more needs to happen.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: I understand that he needs to seek medical attention ASAP and I made an appointment with the vet who has scheduled him for an ultrasound and blood work to test for some kind of disease (dont know the name.. starts with an "A") Since this procedure alone is costly, Im trying to find out if there is some kind of "diagnostic testing" that can help with determining several of the possible problems/causes at one time and to eliminate the least expensive things to test for, first, if possible?

Addisons?

Unfortunately, when nothing comes up on the first line diagnostics..and the dog fails to respond to treatment...you are in need of going the next steps.

Addisons is not too $$ to diagnose.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Yes, sorry I couldn't remember the name. So I guess the first line of diagnostics that your referring to is the initial set of blood work (CBC) which I think checks the functioning of his organs. The only other treatment that I've tried is to change his food. Is there other kinds of treatments that I can try as well?
Just as I was answering this question my dog just vomited not within 2 seconds of drinking some water. It was as if as soon as the water hit his stomach it caused him to projectile vomite and throw up the food he ate throughout the day. Its weird because he ate and ran around all day and didnt throw up (except for this morning) and now all of a sudden he puked! Its as if there's something preventing him from digesting his food and water but I somehow dont believe it could be something serious like a disease only because he is still in such great spirits. My dog has always had a sensitive stomach and he's always thrown up every now and then but never this much.
Between the ultrasound and the testing for this Addison disease this next visit to the vet will probably cost me several hundreds of dollars and I don't know what I will do if these tests don't show anything. I don't know how many other tests they can run without running me into bankruptcy!

I think your dog needs to start with basic xrays...and then possibly contrast xrays.  They give a dog a mix of food and contrast media and immediately start taking xrays so they can see where it goes and where it "hits" the problem...etc.

It may be done before other diagnostics. The Reglan is the next step as far as the treatment...but I think I would at least do the contrast xrays to see if this problem is actually in the esophagus or the stomach.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Isn't an ultrasound an xray?
Is that the kind of xray or contrast xray that your talking about?
Also, is it safe to say that I can rule out BLOAT (GDV) because something like this would cause enormous discomfort or non-responsive or lathargic behavior?

No, xrays are just that...ultrasound is a different way of looking on the inside.

It isn't GDV or bloat, both are acute and fatal.

Dr.V