ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

Packer

my ferret has ear mites and has a solid lump on lower innerear, he is on anitbotic, and has had mite med. what is the lump? I’m very comcerned. Infection? It took all but 1 day to form this lump. Vet did the swab and came back and said mites. Problem I have 5 ferrets and treated them all. First I'd like to know how they got them no other animals in house, no animals have visited, none of the guys have been out side and no knew ferrets in 5 years. So how could they get them. At the vets office? I have had the ferrets there 8 times in 5 weeks for upper respetory and lower respetory infections. I'm really at a loss, I really worry about this lump and the seeping. I came across this site and thought I'd ask you because in the last month I have spent alot!!!!!of money just for the love of my animals.   But am getting no where. Please help. He has been on an antibotic now for almost 6 days before that he was on batril for 10 days because of upper respertory infection. The lump in his ear is really hard and pertuding, he looks like he has mumps.
 First a few questions...you said the lump came up suddenly...was this before or after the vet visit? What tests did your vet do besides the ear swab....did he culture it also? Did they clean the ears while he was in?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: After Packer went off the batril I came home from work and noticed this lump I took him to the vet and he pooked in his ear and got a sample of what was in his ears, checked it under micrascope????came back and told me mites. Than I started asking questions like how???? He said ear gland said put him on something like animixicialin for 10 days. It has been 12 days Lump is still there I keep cleaning out ear with Peroxide, some sweet iol and than some mineral oil. You need to understand I have 5 ferrets this has been a very bad winter, as far as upper res. infection, and lower res infection cause when one gets it they all get it. Plus there all getting older, 5-7 age. But there still my family. I only have so much to go around. I just checked before I left his ear has alot of dried blood. I need to go to vet again. But what do I suggest? As far as an analization on the culture He said ear mite No he did not clean the ears. (dried blood and still a hard lump. It seems like it has some seepage or just from him digging Thank you so much
 Ok the first thing I would do it take him back and ask if he can aspirate the lump to see what it is. I would also consider treating all of your ferrets for the ars mites if you aren't already. Sometimes one can have the ear mites for a long period and you never see any signs until there's a problem. He may need to be anesthetized to clean them out well. A culture wouldn't be a bad idea either.
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Packer had the lump removed on 4-21-05. It was diagnosed as progressive and in time......They removed the lump but the cancer is into the ear they said they could remove the ear....I said I will take him home and just love him as I have all my animals knowing that sooner or later I will lose him. Maybe lose him, but never the memories. Thanks for everything especially someone to chat to.
 I am very orry for the diagnosis of the lump...good luck with your decision.