Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

dog: just had a Blood Work-up, and the results show wbc

Customer Question

My dog just had a Blood Work-up, and the results show
WBC at the highest Normal Level. She also shows GRANS
at the low-end of the High Level. Within GRANS, the NEUT and EOS are also at the low-end of the High Level.
Her GLU is also at the highest level of the Normal Range. All else is Normal. Can you explain in detail what this means?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

Can you actually tell me the numbers?

What was the bloodwork up for?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: GLU - 124
WBC - 16.5 x10 9/L
GRANS - 14.8 x10 9/L
% GRANS - 90%
NEUT - 13.1 x10 9/L
EOS - 1.7 x10 9/L

My dog is 13 years old, and she gets a full blood work-up once a year. She has shown slightly elevated enzyme levels for her Bladder and Pancreas. I had this done now, as I had her in for a teeth cleaning.

I would consider this a stress leukogram which means the body can naturally throw these values because you put her in the car and took her to the vet. 

I wouldn't consider any of these to be alarming, especially with the absence of clinical signs.  I do recommend since she is 13 yrs old that you consider doing the bloodwork every 6 months because of the speed they age now.

Dr.V

Let me know if you want to further discuss this.

Dr.V