ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

Hi! This is not a pet related question..LOVE animals and am very good

Customer Question

Hi! This is not a pet related question but a profession related question. I absolutely LOVE animals and am very good with them. There is a Community College that has a 2 year program to become a Vet Technician which I very badly want to pursue as a career change. I am 36 years old and am not getting any older. My problem is that I have all these financial responsibilites. I am engaged and my fiance can not see the point in going to school for 2 years and increasing my debt just to get out and make way less than I am already. I want to do it so I can look forward to going to work everyday and be happy doing what I am doing. However, I know I need to be realistic. I just can’t seem to let go of this dream though. So, it brings me to this solution. I have now decided that I can do this which would make me happy and get a second job to supplement my income. Now here’s my quesion. I have tried to research this with no luck as to any solid answers. How much does a licensed Vet Tech make full time? Do they usually get medical benefits? I live in New York State in the Hudson Valley if this helps. If you know the answer to this question or could direct me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Probably your best bet would be to ask the vet clinics in your area what the standard starting wage is for a new hire new to the profession.
My guess would be that it varies depending on the work, the clinic etc but 8-12 or even 13 dollars an hour might be right.
However another big thing is benefits - not all employers offer them so that has to be factored in.
I know that many of the vet techs who work at vet clinics near me for their regular jobs also put in extra hours at the emergency after hours vet clinic due to the extra high pay they get for working nights and weekends.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: That is basically what I had guessed the rated to be myself. Also, I did try to ask local vets and they refuse to release that information like it is some big secret. So, this didn't really get me any closer to a real answer but thank you for your time and effort.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I wouldn't call them up and ask them what they pay their staff. I think instead I'd call them and tell them that you were considering a career change and ask if they can tell you the usual starting salary for an inexperienced vet tech.
Another spot to inquire about this might be your local employment (unemployment) center. The often have statistics for normal job wages in the area.
I got the numbers I gave you off of several different websites and it matched up with what the ladies who work for my vet have indicated so I figured it was pretty valid. A huge deal is the benefits though - $10 an hour with benefits is a lot more than $13 an hour without them!
There are different kinds of tech jobs too - a job as a laboratory vet tech might pay quite differently than the small animal clinic tech. I know one young man at my vet's office changed over to being the lab tech and running all kinds of lab work in house - added a lot to the clinic and made him extra in salary by pursuing his interest.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 Vet tech salaries vary depending on location...experience...whether or not you are certified/registered...and also what type practice...Specialty clinics and research make the most for the most part. Your best bet is to get a degree and it will work to your advantage as far as salary but volunteering first to see what actually happens there is the first thing you should do to decide if its what you thought. Let me know if you have any other questions...I have been a tech for over 20 years so I know all the in's and outs