Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Rescue Work With Cats and Dogs
Experience:  Experienced 40 Yrs. W/Cats, Dogs. Knowledge of Medical Problems, Diseases, and Behavior of Animals.
15822

skin problems

Customer Question

my dog has a skin problem, he gets a big sore and you can pull out clumps of hair usually in a circle about the size of a silver dollar, he has had skin test, blood work, antibiotics, special shampoo, diet food. he is 13 years old and this has been going on since last year around august. please help, he doesnt scratch at them or show any signs of itching either.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Elena Marie replied 11 years ago.

Does your dog get multiple sores at a time, or just one?  What kind of dog is he?

Since this started in August of last year, did you make any kind of changes in your home, or outside that he could be allergic to anything? New carpeting or furniture? Any kind of other animals that you have brought into your home?

This could be some kind of fungal skin disease, and it seems that sometimes when humans or animals get fungal diseases, they are never fully curable. Please write back and let us know any other particulars.

God bless and good luck!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: he gets several at a time, he is a salouky/bull terrier, no changes in the house, all tile floors, we live in southern florida, we thought it might be the cleaners on the floor but no change yet, we have new carpet now but it doesnt seem to get any better either.
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 He has had skin tests, antibiotics, shampoo....none works or they work and it comes back?
What did the skin test say?

Dr.V

He has been getting these sores before you got the carpeting, right? I only thought of the carpet, because a person I know, ended up going through all kinds of problems with her skin, and the doctors ended up telling her to see a psychiatrist, as they all said it was "in her head" how bad she was with her skin and the pain. Turned out to be her new carpeting she eventually found out.

You mentioned "diet food". What are you feeding him? Any supplements of any kind? Does he drink milk by chance?

So many allergies and different fungus infections, as well as other types of infections, could be the culprit, but maybe Dr. V can shed some light on your dog's problem, as I am sure she has seen many of these types of cases.

God bless and good luck!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: the skin tests came back negative as in no parasites, mites or fleas. The blood work was also negative. As far as diet food it is just science diet for senior dogs, he has been on it for about 4 years, and he does drink milk once in awhile but has for 13 years.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i forgot to tell you that my wife says that when they first appear and open up she says they area smells like baking yeast, or musty or decaying of some sort if that helps.
 Has anything your vet given you work even if for a short time??

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: the antibiotics seem to slow it down but as soon as he is off of them they come back

These lesions sound like they must be a fungus of some type. I, myself, have a skin fungal infection, that is never going away, called "lichen planus", and it will get better and sometimes worse.

Dogs can get this fungus disease also. There are other fungi as well, and it could even have something to do with where you live and certain types of grasses or dirt that could be harboring this type of fungus.

I know that my infections, seem to get better when I am not in the sunlight. Have you noticed if your dog gets any worse or any better when in the sun or do these sores just appear off and on, or spontaneously?

I found the following website that possibly could have some bearing in the case of your dog, and you might want to take a look at it:

http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=319

Hope you can find some answers and it is almost like you have to turn into a detective to try to figure out what is causing the sores on your dog, and if it could possibly be diet related, or environmentally related or caused by a fungus.

God bless and good luck!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Our dog doesn't go out in the sun much. He really is a "house dog"... he goes out to use the bathroom and walk and then back in. He had this condition when we lived in Mexico as well. He didn't have it in Honduras, Ohio or California. Maybe it has to do with the humidity. He also has a smell, even 3 days after a bath... it is maybe like a yeast smell... I can't describe it real well.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
The shampoo the vet gave us is m/chlorhexidine 4%, the latest antibiotic (3 in 7 months) was cephalexin 500 mg 2pills at a time 2x times a day for 20 days. We've replaced all his beds, bathed him weekly and he's had once a week pills for fleas. He he did pick up fleas from the kennel (7 months ago) and that is what seemed to be the beginning of the skin problems again.

Sorry I couldn't get on last night, as I had some medical problems here at home.

Your dog's skin problems have been going on for how long now? You said off and on, in different states, and Mexico? If the problems have remained the same and do not affect his health adversely in other ways, I really do not have much other information that I know of to offer you other than what I have given.

This sure does seem to be an ongoing problem that you have had with your dog, and it most likely is a fungal type infection that he may never get rid of, and perhaps the antibiotics seem to help to ward off any skin infections that would be bacterial that might flare up in the open sores.

Take care and I hope things work out for you with this problem. Like I said, I have this lichen planus that is never going away, and I just have to learn to live with it.

God bless and good luck!