Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Rescue Work With Cats and Dogs
Experience:  Experienced 40 Yrs. W/Cats, Dogs. Knowledge of Medical Problems, Diseases, and Behavior of Animals.
15822

cats: neutered male..13 years old..4 year old) has peed on my bed

I have 2 neutered male cats, one is 13 years old and the other is about 4 1/2 years. They both sleep with me and my husband each night. Since he was about 18 months old Whipper (4 year old) has peed on my bed at least every 3-4 days. They are both litter box trained and go no where else but. We recently moved to a new home and Whipper stopped this bad habit of his for the last 7 months, well just last week he started up again. What can I do to make him stop? I'm desparate my laundry bills are becoming ridiculus again>>>>>
thanks

Have you had Whipper checked out for urinary problems? Possible ongoing infections, and they can run on for years, very low grade, but enough to cause discomfort to the cat.

I would make an appointment with your vet and have Whipper checked out well, and make sure he does not have any underlying urinary problems.

There is also something known as "idiopathic cystitis" that can cause a cat to have the urge to urinate and can cause pain, and perhaps poor Whipper is trying to let you know that he does not feel well.

Of course, you can always put the cats in another room and not let them into your bed at night, if the problems persists. But, I know how hard that is to do.

God bless and good luck! Let us know ifyou have any further questions about Whipper.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: Yes I have had him checked for urinary problems. Actually Whipper is checked out quite frequently since my other male Dewey is a 10+ year FIV survivor. They both have a check up once a year.
Whipper came to us one day when my husband and daughter were leaving for work one summer morning. He turned the key to the truck and heard a terrible noise well you know the rest of that. Anyway there were 4 kittens in the engine. They all jumped and ran well Whipper didnt get far. We lived right across the street from a vet so we ran him over and pleaded to save him. We returned a 5Pm as instructed by the vet and of course it did look worse then it was but he did have a cut that just missed his eye 3 broken ribs and his tail had to be aputated 3" since it was stripped to the bone. Henceforth the name Whipper was coined by my daughter. Thank You

What a good ending to a tragic beginning! Although, if he has been checked for urinary problems, I wouldn't know at this point what could be causing his reoccurrence of urinary bed wetting problems.

When is the last time you had him checked out though? He still could have an underlying problem, that may need to be addressed.

One thing you might ask your vet about, is if you should try giving Cosequin to your cat. It helps with bladder inflammation. I am now treating one of my cats with it that has had urinary problems. You can buy it fairly cheap over the internet. It is a capsule and you break it open and mix it in with canned food each day.

Let me know if you need further information on it.

Take care and think about if you might have changed laundry detergent, or something like that, that could be causing him to urinate again on your bed.

God bless! 

Experience: Experienced 40 Yrs. W/Cats, Dogs. Knowledge of Medical Problems, Diseases, and Behavior of Animals.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: Thank you I will check into the Cosequin and also try to remember something that may have changed with the bedding.

God bless
Char