Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

back leg problem

Customer Question

I have a dog that has started limping. She does not flinch or yipe when you touch up and down her leg, including her hip. What can I do? It is obviously not broken. She is 6 years old and slightly overwieght. (I didn't know if that may be helpful to know.)
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You didn't say what kind of dog but sometimes what you see in a leg might actually be a problem with a vertebrae in the spine or could be anything from arthritis to a pulled muscle or a ligament tear. Or even a nail problem - have you checked to see if she has any broken, overgrown or cracked nails on that foot?
She would probably benefit from not being overweight - one way to do that used by show folks is to reduce the dog food you feed by 1/3 and replace the volume with green beans or canned pumpkin so the dog can be as full feeling but have far fewer calories. Others find that changing 'cookies' from dog biscuits and soft treats to rice cakes and diced raw carrots helps too.
Talk to your vet about glucosamine chondroitin or adequan shots if its determined to be arthritis - that can help dogs as well as humans.
I think a solid diagnosis from a vet who can have hands on your dog will be the best bet at putting you on track to finding out what is wrong but consider slimming her down a bit no matter what the issue is.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: She is a beagle/corgi she is not overweight from treats or overeating. We were told that she was going to weight 45lbs and that is what she weighs. no nails are broken and we the only time she even flinches is around the hip area. I have pressed down her spine, her knee, and her ankle. Her leg gets tense when you touch her hip or her leg muscle right near the hip, but no yipe unless you try and spread the leg open. i can even move the entire leg manually without an issue. When she runs, she will put more weight on it, although still limp. She also will go to the bathroom normally.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

A common cause of this type of pain is a cranial cruciate tear.  It's comparable to the ACL ligament in people.  It is VERY painful and you need to see the vet tomorrow to rule this out.

If this is not the cause, your vet can help you figure out what is and can get your the appropriate meds to make her more comfortable.

Good luck!