NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care
127115

doggie urinary tract infection; my doggie..twice per day..vet opens

Customer Question

doggie urinary tract infection; my doggie just finished 125 mg of clavamox, twice per day for 14 days & her infection came back to the same as it was before the clavamox. is there something I can comfort her with until the vet opens on monday? Thank you...
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 Is she straining to urinate or is there just blood in the urine but the amount coming out is normal?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Often, just like with humans, acidifying the urine can help with urinary tract infections. If you can get your dog to drink cranberry juice this can help. Bear in mind this may not be good for dogs that have kidney or bladder stone issues.
Make sure you get her out more than usual for potty trips as holding urine is more painful so more frequent relief can make her a bit more comfortable.
If your dog says no to cranberry in her water bowl(just get a small amount to try unless you like it) you can increase her fluid intake by giving her chicken broth. An increased fluid intake will help her feel better.
If you don't have chicken broth around you can change her water bowl to hold a home made pedialyte like solution which will also make her drink a bit more.
To make the easiest form of home pedialyte solution to one liter of water add 1/2 teaspoon table salt and two tablespoons of sugar.
Again this is to increase the fluids she takes in so more frequent potty trips will be needed.
The more fluids she takes the more dilute her urine should be which should cause less burning and help to flush the infection some before you get more meds.
I would also suggest if your dog uses the same area for potty trips that you consider watering down the area she uses with a solution of bleach and water to help disinfect the area. You use 1 part bleach to 10 parts water to clean the area. in a few minutes after sprinkling that solution on the area you can use a hose to water down the area getting the solution into the soil. The solution is low enough that it should not bother your dog's feet or any plants such as grass in that area.
I also always wash the dog's bedding with some bleach in the wash water just in case the dog is reinfecting herself from her bedding.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you so much Nancy. I fed her chicken broth. She urinated many times & did not "try" to urinate much at all. All of her bedding has been washed. I could not dis-infect the lawn, unfortunately it is common ground. It has been a very stressful Sunday for me, but also comforting in the great advice you sent me....

Do you know what causes UTI's?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I believe if its cystitis its a bacterial infection picked up from varying sources. I've almost always seen it in females and I suspect the way they pee with the vulva hitting the ground may predispose them to picking the bug up if it is there. But talk to your vet about this too as other things like bladder stones can cause problems that look like a simple infection.
When you get more antibiotics I suggest asking your vet about a urine acidifier to use for a bit as the bacteria doesn't live well in acid urine. Or your vet may have good reasons to say no on that so ask questions and listen to the answers. I find it helpful to bring a list of questions sometimes to any doctor including the vet.
Keep up the extra fluid intake too while you do the meds.
As you are walking her on common ground let me suggest that when you get her on more meds (and you need to do that in my opinion) if you normally say go left on your walks instead go right or vice versa - try to keep her away from the areas she normally uses to let sun and rain do its best to clean up the areas she previously used.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
My little one didn't wake up this morning at 5 crying to go out. I will get her to a vet today "and" take a list of questions with me. I will also be careful to take her potty in different areas. I am going to get my own little patch of grass for my balcony, for sanitary purposes & convenience to get her to potty more often. By the way Bonita is a beautiful 5 yr old silver dapple dachshund & all heart, thank you from her too! :-)))))