Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Golden Retriever has digestion issues

Customer Question

My 4 year old Golden Retiever has been on IAM’s Chunks for large breeds dog food since she came off IAM’s puppy food.For the last few weeks, she has not had a solid stool -- extremely runny -- almost the consistency of water.At first, I thought it was because she would eat the grass after it rained (that seemed to be when it was occurring), but now it seems that way all the time.She does not get any table scraps and maybe treats every few months or so(but usually only rawhide bones). Do you have any ideas?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

There are a lot of causes for runny stools.  The first and most obvious is that she needs to be dewormed.  If you suspect this, you can take a fecal sample by your vet or take her in for a fecal exam and get the appropriate medication.

If you know that is not the cause, you can try removing her food and starting fresh.  Switch her to a diet of only boiled chicken/hamburger and white rice.  When her stools are solid, start to add her food back in in small amounts until you phase out the rice mixture.

My biggest concern is that the diarrhea might be caused by an obstruction.  Rawhides are not the best treat because they are not digestible.  If she swallowed a hunk, she might have a bowel obstruction.  Only the liquid part of the fecal matter is squeezing by it.  If that's the case, it can be deadly and you should seek vet care immediately.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I didn't mean rawhide bones, but those kind that they chew up (Like the scooby snacks) and she may get 1 - 2 every 2 - 3 months. We don't give our dogs snacks very often and they never get table scraps. If she had a blockage, wouldn't she look/act bloated? She is not at all and her activity level has not decreased at all. She still all puppy!   
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

She would be showing clinical signs after about 48 hours, or before, if she had a bowel obstruction.

You should try the bland diet that I mentioned above.  It it does not work, I think that a vet visit is needed to rule out a bigger problem.