Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Intestinal Problems

My 9 yr old female cat has lost half her body weight and eats like a horse. Her full blood work came out pretty normal. She has a lot of growling noise and movement in her stomach, soft stools and does vomit from time to time, she always looks for heat or a warm place to be. Currently she is on Prednisolone, but it has not changed a thing. I have had her to two Vets and no one seems to be helping me....she is dying before my eyes. She has been wormed. Can you help me pleeeeeease?
 Have they spoke to you about intestinal biopsy?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Both Vet's examined for any type of tumor, but could not feel any....but said that does not mean there is none. Both said the cat would probably not eat much if it was cancer. Unfortunately I have a very small income and have saved on my food bill for 3 mos to afford these current bills. I cannot pay for any more tests or X-rays. My gut feeling is that it is not cancer....she seems normal except for appearance. I have read where thyroid does not nesscesarily show up in blood work???? I also read about IBD???? This all started in Sept., if she had cancer would she still be living? I don't want to sound cruel, I lover her, but if she has cancer what is the point to tests????
 Cancer is a possibility just as much as IBD or a pancreatic issue. Is her stool mucous or fatty looking...or just semi-soft ice cream but not fatty?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: I do not know what you mean by fatty stools, but they are like soft ice cream and yellowish in color. This started just a few days ago. And the odor is bad. Nike passes a lot of gas and I don't know if it has to do with the Vet telling me to give her a 1/4 of a Pepcid AC pill to help with the constant growling and noises and I can actually feel movement like little springs going on in her belly. When she eats in the morning she only gets half way thru and runs to the litter box and then return to finish her food.

Why don't you call tomorrow and see if they feel if pancreazyme powder. It helps with cats that have diarrhea due to the pancreas's inability to secrete enough enzymes to break down food. It causes and increase in appetite, muscle and body wasting and chronic diarrhea.

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you Dr. Vamvakias, what you have just suggested to me makes the most sense so far. I will call first thing tomorrow and ask for the powder. You may have saved Nike's life.

Let me know what they think, and if the cat responds.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Dr. Vamvakias: At your suggestion, I went to my Vet and he gave me Viokase because the pancreazyme powder that you recommmended was quite costly and I would have to buy a whole bottle....not knowing if this would help, I did not want to do this. I have given my cat Viokase 3 times now, and her appetite has gone down, however, the noise going on in the intestines are still rumbling loud. How long would it take for this to stop? and How long before I would notice a difference in her?

About 3-5 days and you should still be giving the Pepcid AC.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Dr. Vamvakias, I have given Nike about 5 pills now and I see a difference already....her appetite is returning to normal and a lot of the rumbling in the belly has subsided, but not all. I am so grateful to you and your knowledge, thank you for saving my cat and I will recommend this site to anyone I know with pets.   Bless you.

Thank you and good luck!

Dr.V