Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

cockapoo: my 10 week..10 week old..bath just yesterday afternoon

Customer Question

my 10 week old cockapoo has lost all of his hair on one side of his rear and down the leg, down to the bare skin. It’s on the side that he sits on, and looks somewhat red. I gave him a bath just yesterday afternoon, and it was fine this morning-no hair missing at all. I can not figure out how this could happen. The only thing I can think of is that he has been sitting on spots of Resolve carpet cleaner or on the floor after I mop when the floor is wet. Would this cause this to happen and what should I do about it?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

If it is primarily only on the side that he predominately lays on...then contact allergy is a definate rule out. Carpet freshener and cleaner are big possibilities...

Try not to eliminate the cleaner, bathe him and see if it clears...then if you clean carpet again and it returns...you have your answer.

Look at the bottom of all four feet, many times they become irriated with carpet cleaners too.

DR.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: You didn't really touch on how to treat this. This looks so sore! His feet are fine, it's just on the one side of the butt, 1/2 of the tail and down the back of the leg-about a 3" area. It isn't just irritated, the hair is GONE, and it is bare, irritated, moist skin. The area around his anus appears to be slightly inflammed as well. Could liquid Lysol (nearly full strength)cause a skin reaction that bad? I have an appt. for him tomorrow, but how can I treat it in the meantime? It seems sensitive to touch and I feel so bad for the poor thing!

If you are sure that he is clean of fleas...you can purchase hydrocortisone sprays/cream or benadryl sprays/creams either or both can be used. Benadryl is an antihistamine and cortisone is a steroid. They both will help...hopefully you will be able to handle this without medications. Cool baths with oatmeal based rinses are good too.

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you! I've made an appt. for the vet tomorrow, but this helps for the meantime.

Great, let me know how it goes!

DR.V