Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Death of rabbit

Customer Question

our rabbit died today. She was 2 years old. What kind
of diseases do rabbits get. She ate very well. Mixed greens, veggies, and rabbit food. She lived in our back yard for the last six mo. without any problems.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

Rabbits get many diseases...are there any clinical signs you can tell me about...like sneezing? diarrhea? no defecation?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post:
No, but she lived in our backyard for six mo.
and loved it. She would come in through the
doggie door for her breakfast and dinner. however
i noticed the last couple of weeks she'd been
urinating in the house. She never did this before
and the day before she died her stools were very
big and clumped together. And she was lathargic.
I read on a website that rabbits need to be
brushed during their shedding season to prevent
hairballs from forming in their digestive system.
she was definatly shedding alot. I hope we
didn't cause her death.

Hairball issues can cause death when it cause obstruction.  The urinating is concerning as well. Unfortunately when they are outside, you are not able to watch their feces production closely so it may have been hairballs.

I am sorry for your loss.

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: thank you for your answer. Imagine the Rabbit
passing on Easter!! I dare her! or is that hair?

There is a mixed irony with that isn't there??

Well good luck...and hopefully it won't discourage you from future rabbits!

Dr.V