Oliver’s Mom
Oliver’s Mom, Prof Trainer & Behavior Counselor
Experience:  20 yrs Trainer/Behavior/Rescue focus:dog/cat-human relationships;dog/cat behavior modification metho
56888

St Barnard hurt

I have a year old St Barnard. She got out last Wednesday & was gone for a few hours. She returned home late evening, walking very slow. She appeared to be ok, just sore. She was walking this morning (Sunday). Now it appears that she can’t lift her head (She’s been laying in one spot all day). We’re not sure what happened while she was away; we thought maybe she went into someone’s yard & being the size that she is, someone may have hurt her or she was hit by a car. But since she was walking, up until today, we thought she was ok other than being sore. We’ve tried to coax her to stand up with chicken and the only way she can drink is if we pour water in a saucer for her to lap while laying on her side. Would being hit, either by a person or car cause this kind of effect days after the action happened? If she makes it through the night, she will be at the vet ASAP tomorrow. I just would like to know what we might be able to do for her through the night. Thanks Jenny

Injury from a car, person or something else could be the reason yes.  If she has a lot of muscular soreness, many times this can take a few days before it really feels bad to move around.

If she is vomiting, cannot control her bowels or urinary functions, or becomes unresponsive, you should take her into an emergency vet clinic tonight.

If she is eating and drinking (with your assistance) and seems to be stabilized, she should be fine until you can get her in first thing tomorrow.  Take a very close examination of her entire body for bite wounds - especially around the neck, back, ears, throat and face.  It's easy to miss something like this so check her out thoroughly.

For now, if she isn't displaying any of the emergency signs above, you can give her one regular adult aspirin now and before bed time tonight.  It's best to try and give her this with food. (NO TYLENOL, ADVIL, ETC ASPIRIN ONLY!) Also put a warm towel (microwave it) OR warm heating pad on her bed to lie on. (Place the heating pad under a towel so she is not direclty on it and use with supervision only).  The aspirin and heating pad will help relieve her discomfort.

I hope she does well and recovers quickly.  Take care,

Experience: 20 yrs Trainer/Behavior/Rescue focus:dog/cat-human relationships;dog/cat behavior modification metho
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: Thank you for answering so quickly & especially on a Holiday!
She isn't vomiting. She hasn't had a bowel movement since she was gone, as far as we know. She has gone out to urinate, until this morning. I felt around where she was laying & the floor wasn't wet, so apparently she hasn't urinated all day. There are no emergency vet clinics close to us - which is why we're hoping she makes it through the night.
My husband has checked her as best as he can. If we attempt to lift her head, she yelps & cries. We're afraid to hurt her more. We do know that the right ear, which is the side she's laying on, is red inside, with waxy discharge and odor, but this was going on before Wednesday. Vet was on vacation this week, so we were going to make appointment for her ear tomorrow anyway. Would an infection in the ear also cause something like this? It just seems weird that her not being able to move happened after she disappeared & the red ear we noticed before.
I'm sorry. I should have explained more of this in the first message. I'm just very worried about her. If it could be caused from an ear infection, I will feel better knowing that, than thinking somebody did this to her. Thanks again for your help. Jenny
Edited to say: It's definitely in her neck. By moving it one way, she cries. We will take her to the vet tomorrow. Thanks again! No reply needed.

You are very welcome!

Her ear infection may cause pain/discomfort if bad enough however her condition seems to be the result of much more.  "Something" had to happen while she was away...but it may not have had anything to do with a person purposely causing this. 

I under cause your concern and I'm glad you came to Just Answer. I hope your night goes well and the best of luck at the veterinarian! 

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: Just wanted to give an update. We took her to the vet today. Hubby & neighbor built some kind of stretcher to carry her with. They got her on it and when they lifted her, she struggled to get off. So they put her back down and hubby said gruffly I guess "Fine Nellie! (Her registered name is Tenille & Captain is her "hubby") You Need To Get Up NOW. C'mon Now!" And he said she looked at him like a kid saying "Awww Dad, do I hafta?" But she got up. Took her to the vet. She does have a "little" infection in her ear and a discharge from her "female part" (poor guys) and was given meds for both. The vet apparently (I was at work all day) pulled and pushed on her all over & she didn't wimper once. The vet says that we're suckers :-) She wanted sympathy & we gave it all to her. I guess we baby her too much. Anyway, just wanted to let you know & thank you again for answering so quick yesterday!