ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

sick ferret

Customer Question

My ferret is ill. Symptoms: deficit noted in from paws, front toes curled inward (adducted). Mobility via hind legs scooting forward with front legs on surface at elbows forward. Does not have abilit to stand on front legs. Eating OK. Eyes clear, shiny. Help. What is wrong with my ferret? Please advise. Live in remote village in Alaska. Nearest vet is 550 air miles away. Giving ferret egg with honey, ferretvite, ferretone. Tolerated well, no vomiting, diarrhea noted. Please help.
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 How old is he? How long have you been giving the egg and is it cooked?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: He is a rescue and age is unknown. The egg is raw with the honey, which he seems to tolerate very well. Been giving this mixture since last pm. He is no better. He has also lost a good bit of his fur...thought other members of family were pulling out...now wonder? We have had him for approximately 5 years.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

I would stop the egg/honey, you don't want to add to his problems by
giving him raw food that his system isn't used to. It really sounds
neurologic to me and there's not much you can do about that aside from
limit his activity so he doesn't injure himself further, make sure he
continues to eat and most of all make sure he can urinate and deficate
on his own. I would do cage rest with him for about a week and keep him
seperated from the others. If the sysmptoms continue or worsen you may
need to take him somewhere for x-rays and a neuro exam.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I also have been told it may be a vitamin deficiency,specifically the ADE and C. I have attempted to give him the Ferretvite; but he just won't take it, as will none of the other ferrets I have.

He is tolerating the egg and honey quite well, surprisingly, and is more alert and attempting to maneuver around a bit more; however, the front extremities remain limited. He is being kept quiet and his activity is limited mostly due to his deficit. I thought his problem may be neurological, too, but what would make only the front legs exhibit a neuro problem?

As far as we know, he has not sustained any injuries...we would know as he is caged and allowed out only under supervision.

My husband says he noticed Pooh acting confused and disoriented early Saturday morning.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 Depending on what is causing it...usually if its not a  brain tumor which would also cause him to act as you described usually upper/cervical spinal cord impingement would cause the front legs to have issues. It is really hard to say though unfortunately. I would still advise against the raw egg..the honey is probably why he's perked up and that fine in moderation but I would still not give raw egg...cooked is ok...You can also try something bland like boiled chicken and white rice.