Oliver’s Mom
Oliver’s Mom, Prof Trainer & Behavior Counselor
Experience:  20 yrs Trainer/Behavior/Rescue focus:dog/cat-human relationships;dog/cat behavior modification metho
56888

kitten: mos old..gingivitis..tissue below his gums..breeder warned me

I have a 6 mos old Aby kitten with serious gingivitis. He has tissue below his gums that may need to be excised. The breeder warned me that this is the breed’s shortcoming. but I never saw it this bad even in a 17 yr old Burmese - which is when I finally got smart...sorta. Discovered this mess when I tried to brush his teeth.   He’s on his second week of flagyl and clavamox. Any suggestions, other than brushing, to avoid same happening again? Any vitamins? foods? Anything? Thank you.

Good nutrition appears to be the main area of focus in all I have studied on this problem, for preventing oral problems in dogs/cats.

It has been said that adding pureed or finely chopped green vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, spinach, etc) and 1/2 tsp of olive oil daily into your cat's diet will prohibit dental problems from occuring or resurfacing.  A prescription diet available from your vet office, Hill's T/D, is specifically formulated for dental health.

The calcivirus is known to be a contributing factor to gingivitis so vaccination prevention is highly suggested - along with a biopsy of the tissue removed (if the surgery is done) to rule out other underlying causes.

Many times it is also suggested the majority of the cat's teeth be removed, except for the incisors/canine teeth. 

I hope you find this helpful and I wish you and your cat all the best!

Experience: 20 yrs Trainer/Behavior/Rescue focus:dog/cat-human relationships;dog/cat behavior modification metho
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: He has been on Science diet since I got him at 7months, but as bad as this was, I think he might have had the start of if when I first got him. He's very small for his age, and the greatest temperment.
I don't know what calcivirus is and I know I will do everything I can so he doesn't lose his teeth. I just wish I had noticed it sooner, but I didn't expect it in one so young.
Should the veggies be raw? Is parsley of any help?
Thank you.

Here's a link to explain the calcivirus.

http://www.warmfuzzys.org/ickeythings/pathogens/calcivirus1.htm

Yes parsley is good and the veggies should be pureed or finely chopped raw.

Aby's are very prone to gingivitis so don't blame yourself so much!  When something is genetic, it's very difficult to control.  Mother nature right?

Also, if he has to have his teeth extracted, except for the canines/incisors, you may be surprised how well he will do eating, etc.  I had to have this done with my Beagle, and she amazes me - she just chows down at meal time without a problem.   Animals adapt so very well it's fascinating.

Take care and keep the faith,

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: Thank you for the advice and warm fuzzies you have sent my way. My husband died 9/27 from COPD and then four months later, I heard much the same from the vet regarding my 17 yrs old Burmese. This was after $400+ in dentistry and extractions...then had to put him down. The cat, not husband.. well , you know...I got Wicket at 7 mos, the breeder held on to him because he was very small...I think he still is little, but very active..a shoulder rider. Looking back, I think he must've had the beginning of this when I got him, he was a little touchy about holding his jaw...thought it was because he was so delicate boned, comparatively speaking. Just wish I had picked up on it sooner.

so, will start putting the veggies in his Science Diet after he finishes his meds. Am getting tired of chasing him down for the Flagyl....

thanks again for your help...Hope you aren't still experiencing winter there...was quite cool here today...69 I think...;-) k
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
P.S. I lied...he was 7 mos when I got him and 9 mos now, not 6 mos like I originally said. Must've been the Ambien...K