Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

cat: gave birth..acting strange..litter to another spot..healthy limit

Customer Question

My cat just gave birth to 3 kittens 2 days ago. Today she is acting strange...panting at times, breathing heavily consistently and taking one specific kitten from the litter to another spot in the house. My questions are...1 should i be concerned for the mother cat and 2 could something be wrong with the kitten 3 how long is a healthy limit where the mother cat can be away from her other kittens?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

I would get a carrier and put the mom and three kittens into the carrier and go to your vet. Hopefully, they are open. Your vet needs to check the mom. He needs to make sure there is not a retained kitten, or something that you are not seeing.

The panting can be anxiety....but I really recommend getting her checked before the holiday weekend.

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: what does "retained" mean?
 Sorry, meaning the possibility that a kitten or placenta is still in the uterus.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you. I seem to think there is a problem with the kitten more so than the mother. I think the mother is in distress because of the kitten. How long is it okay for her to be away from her other 2 kittens?

That is true...have you noticed anything wrong with it? In any case as long as the kittens  are warm and not crying...they are fine. If the kittens are crying...or cold then toolong. I can't put it in a time...but kittens are fed about every 2 hours.